Newbie in Head-Fi here. Classical Cans - Less than or equal to $100.
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AlexZanderZee

New Head-Fier
Head Fi Community,

Hello! I just want to start by introducing myself, I am new to the realm of audio technology, yet I have listened to classical music on my Sennheiser HD 219 and Turtle Beach P11. (I game as well.) I have enjoyed each, especially the turtle beach p11s, but I have not experienced using high quality headphones. I have made one purchase already, a purchase of Sennheiser HD 280s. I was pretty disappointed, as their sound was not as remarkable as I expected, and above all they were not comfortable. I found a few forums relating to headphones for classical music, but all that I have found seem beyond my price range. May I have some advice?. I mostly listen to Handel and Bach, but I also delve into other baroque music and renaissance music.

I have already familiarized myself with some basic audio terms, like open construction vs closed construction, impedance, frequency range, etc.

If it is possible, I should purchase a pair of headphones that would work well at home, as well as on the public bus. While I would love a pair of headphones that I can wear in a crowded place, I would rather spend money on a better, more open sound.

I have already researched these models.

Audiotechnica AD 700

Beyerdynamic DTX 910

Koss Pro DJ 100

Sennheiser HD 439

AKG K 240

SHURE SRH 440

They are mostly not headphones that you would use outside of your home or a studio, and that is intentional. If you know of a pair of travel headphones that is very close or matches some of these home/studio headphones please mention it. I have read many reviews on head-fi of some of these products, but some final advice before I make a decision would be very much appreciated.

Thank you! When I have tried out more products myself, I will be sure to write some helpful reviews myself.

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 10
I have owned the AD700s for 4-5 years, and for me, they have been the best audio purchase I have ever made. I haven't experienced other full-sized headphones, but compared to my two IEM purchases: Phonak Audeo PFE (2009) and Head-Direct RE0, the Audio Technica is far ahead. I had build quality issues with both IEMs. I returned the Phonak, and my RE0s died recently after about 4 years. The AD700 still works great, though the pads are heavily worn and the clamp has loosened. The AD700 did give me a scare recently, but I opened it up and found that just a wire had come off. After soldering, it was good as new.

I am not the most experienced at describing sound. However, I will say that the AD700 has a huge soundstage and really gives you the feeling that you are surrounded by music. Live performance recordings make me feel like I'm there.

The AD700 is pretty terrible to use outside. The clamp is not very strong, so it will move around if you walk quickly or go down stairs. There is no isolation, so you hear everything around you, and people sitting near you will hear your music. Also, this may not matter to you, but the pads will make your hair look funny. 

Hope this was useful.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 10
I recommend the AD700. They have an airy soundstage, perfect for orchestral recordings where separation is needed.

Also, the UE6000 might be slightly too bassy for classical pieces.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 10
At a tiny bit more price the Beyerdynamic DT660 is also a really really good classical headphone, with the bonus of being closed. For the price and closed nature the soundstage is rather sizable and its very clear. AD700 like said above is also a great can for the price.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 10
The AD700 is pretty terrible to use outside. The clamp is not very strong, so it will move around if you walk quickly or go down stairs. There is no isolation, so you hear everything around you, and people sitting near you will hear your music. Also, this may not matter to you, but the pads will make your hair look funny. 

Agreed. Any open headphone would be a terrible choice for using on a public bus unless you don't mind all the bus noise interfering with your music listening.

Best to stick to closed headphones for portable use.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 10
If you are planning to take these outdoors, you should buy closed (cel is right).

DT660 is a very good choice for orchestral and strings. It sounds fine for piano, if a little uninteresting. If you listen to a lot of organ music, the highs were too bright. Otherwise, it's a good choice.

Another good closed model is KNS8400, which is very resolving and clear. The only negative is that the stock cable bears noise. Fortunately, it's detachable and may be easily replaced. I prefer it to 660, but I listen to the organ.

My favorite in that range is actually SRH840, which isn't neutral but has an accurate soundstage. Piano sounds great! The negative in this case though is the thick headband, which weighs quite a bit. It can be modded though.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 10
The recommendations so far lean towards the ATH AD 700 and the Beyerdynamic DT 660. The beyerdynamic DT 660 is beyond my price range, unfortunately. Does anyone own the Beyerdynamic DTX 910, and is he or she willing to comment on it? I would like to know more about it before I jump on the ATH AD 700.

Edit: I have heard that lower end Beyerdynamic headphones roll off in sound quality, compared to their big brothers.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 10
I have made a decision. I jumped the price gap and went with the Beyerdynamic DT 660. The only negative thing that was said is the fact that the highs are a bit bright. No one said they are shrill, so I think I can tolerate it. I may even enjoy slightly bright highs when listening to works with the piccolo trumpet. They are also closed, so I can take them on travel.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 10
I have made a decision. I jumped the price gap and went with the Beyerdynamic DT 660. The only negative thing that was said is the fact that the highs are a bit bright. No one said they are shrill, so I think I can tolerate it. I may even enjoy slightly bright highs when listening to works with the piccolo trumpet. They are also closed, so I can take them on travel.

Great! After you burn it in, please add some impressions to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back