Newbie: How should I begin my set-up?
Feb 20, 2004 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, am am prety much all new to the hi-fi world, but I'm eager to get into it. As it stands, I only have Grado SR80's, and play music off of Nomad Zen Xtra 30GB (EAC w/ alt standard). I am interested in starting a home set-up for listening, but do not know where to begin. I'm sorry if this has been addressed previously, but I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks, and most posts are above me or too esoteric; I don't have a starting base.

What I would like is a system where I can listen to my headphones on (speakers arn't nessacary). A CD player, of course, with a line-in so I can hook up my Nomad. I don't know anything really about what qualifies as a good CDP, because I've never had use for one (I used to assume they were pretty much the same
frown.gif
) Um, I don't know much about whether or not I would need an amp, or anything else, but that is why I am asking for help.

Also, as I am fairly young (18) and don't have much income, so budget is a very big factor! I hope this doesn't screw me over, but I would like any system that would just be a good starting point. As it stands, I've begun listening to music at a decent quality with my Grados, so my ears arn't so decerning yet...

I hope I havn't frustrated any of you veterans yet, I would just really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 12
philips 763sa are cheap ... ~120$ i think
then get a vintage marantz receiver for 100$... which can adequately power headphones should you decide to upgrade your grados

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 12
A receiver is an amp/pre-amp/tuner combo. The pre-amp is essentially the processor and switcher for the signal. Amp is the power for your listening device (headphones, speakers, etc.).

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by uosux
Also, as I am fairly young (18) and don't have much income, so budget is a very big factor! I hope this doesn't screw me over, but I would like any system that would just be a good starting point.

When I was 19, home for my first summer form college, I worked in a silk screening factory for 60 hrs a week at just above minimum wage to buy my first real stereo. Granted, tuition was lower then, and I was fortunate to have college paid for, but this was really a good experience for me. In fact, I still use the power amp and speakers I bought at the time.

Any how, the point here is not to tell you to get a job -- I would rather if no one had to do that -- but to instead offer encouragement that (a) you don't need to try to keep up with the older/richer folks here, (b) when you are young and/or when your budget is limited, it can take a while to find components that you both like and that you can afford, but that that it can be done, and it is worth the wait.

My advice would be to find a good hi-fi shop in your area -- like a really small one with nice people who will talk to you and make honest recomendations (I spent much of that summer at Tone Studio in Indianapolis listening to everything they had and learning what things did, and didn't do) -- and spend some real time listening. Stay away from Best Buy, etc. as well as any store with a shelf full of different speakers and a big switch box. Find someone who will invest in you as a potential future customer. It took me 4 months to pick out what I wanted (and to save the money). This will give you a better appreciation for what you like as well as whether it is really worth it to spend a lot of money on a luxury item.

As a last bit of advice, try to take some basic electrical engineering classes and build your own amps. It's fun, and it will save you a ton.

-d

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Feb 21, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 12
i'm in the same boat as uosux... i currently own sr60s and am looking into buying a portable rig. am i making a mistake? should i start out with a home system and then go portable or vice versa. i am in high school and will be going to college soon. i think this will affect my decision b/c dorm life is going to suck (no room for gear). is an amp neccessary with the Grados?

Feb 21, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 12
Probably the best recommendation I can give you is to spend as much money as you can on your source. This isn't to say that more expensive is always better, you'll need to carefully pick your source too but it is the most important part of the system.

As a side note...

Something that is becoming very common here is to use computer sources with very good soundcards. The most popular card right now being the RME. Do a search, you'll read lots about it. Anyway, the computer offers you some wonderful options since you can rip your CD's and encode lossless and upsample with the nicer cards. I like this option personally because I can easily que up playlists that have various artists rather than listening to once CD at a time.

Feb 21, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Something that is becoming very common here is to use computer sources with very good soundcards. The most popular card right now being the RME. Do a search, you'll read lots about it. Anyway, the computer offers you some wonderful options since you can rip your CD's and encode lossless and upsample with the nicer cards. I like this option personally because I can easily que up playlists that have various artists rather than listening to once CD at a time.

I have just converted entirely to my computer, also. The Terratec EWX 24/96 is a very nice deal for $99 at jdsound.com. I got mine on Thursday and am quite happy with it so far. This is definately a good way to go just to have easy access to so much music.

Feb 21, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 12
This is a long shot, but I just checked out my parents' equip that has been sitting about, and I want to see if anyone has heard of any of it:

Technics by Panasonic FM/AM Receiver SA-400
Sony CDP-291
Panasonic DVD-RV26

Feb 21, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Technics by Panasonic FM/AM Receiver SA-400

Anytime the tag "Technics by Panasonic" is used, must be from the 70s. Early 80s at the latest. Made in Japan??

Actually, a good sounding system need not to be expensive. Take dsavitsk's advice. Assembling a good system is always a learning experience and remember that more expensive gear doesn't guarantee better quality sound.

Feb 21, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Good advice. I am just so eager to jump into the hi-fi world. It is addicting reading all of the great sounding set-ups around here. It makes a person jelous
biggrin.gif
Anyways, I suppose I'll have to just hold out till I get a steady job and more experience. I wish I had an infinite income and fine tuned ears.

Yeah... I wouldn't be suprised if my parents' havn't boughten new audio equipment in a few decades. My dad was just telling me how he bough that Technics thing new in 76' or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back