Newbie Here With Some Questions - Music I Listen To Not In HD
Nov 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

David Maki

New Head-Fier
Hi All - I'll introduce myself - name is David - I live about 30 miles East of Cleveland and am self-employed as an importer.  I'm in my home office most of the working hours where I'm always listening to music.  My current setup is literally a pair of PS headphones - bluetooth connected to my Mac and listening to various music via Google Play.  I have a really nice home audio setup, but during the day it's all phones for me.  

I'd love to upgrade my current setup - but I'm having a difficult time finding sites that offer high quality downloads of the music that I listen to.  I've searched the forums here for high quality music downloads and all of the sites that have been mentioned are either no longer working or missing a lot of what I listen to.  HDTracks was the most promising, but still lacked a lot of my favorites.  

My main question - am I going to experience a huge improvement in sound with some great headphones if the music that I listen to isn't available in a high quality download?  Meaning - If Google Play is my main source of audio or a ripped CD on Itunes - will upgrading to say Audeze LCD-3 with a nice amp/dac be worthwhile to me?  

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 7
You don't necessarily need 24bit, 96khz much less 32bit, 384khz audio tracks. The differences have been argued about ad infinitum - ultimately it's the mastering quality that matters. If you can at least get lossless copies (CDs then rip, or any 16/44.1 FLAC/ALAC) then that's about as much as you can do on your end.

Oh and just take note, things are moving away from 16/44.1khz anyway. Many smartphones can do 24/96 without downsampling, so downloads of some albums now are either mp3 or 24/96 studio master copies. No 16/44.1 lossless for albums like Dream Theater's The Astonishing since, by their reasoning, most people who give a damn about getting their music lossless probably have the equipment for it or at least the right software program to downsample it for their source units.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Ok - so to dumb it down to my newbie level - I'd still be golden listening to high quality CD rips - not everything has to come from hdtracks or the like to really notice a huge improvement in listening quality?

I honestly didn't know headphones like this existed until recently.  After seeing a bunch of higher end headphones pop up on Massdrop it got me interested.  I would love to take my headphone listening experience to a better level, but didn't know if buying higher end headphones like the Audeze that I mentioned would benefit me if the music I'm listening to was CD quality.  

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 7
  Ok - so to dumb it down to my newbie level - I'd still be golden listening to high quality CD rips - not everything has to come from hdtracks or the like to really notice a huge improvement in listening quality?

Barring a badly mastered album vs a properly remastered one, differences will come from the hardware. Primarily the headphone, then the amplifier if it matters. The DAC for the most part will only matter in a way similar to the software - as long as you're not comparing a badly designed product to a properly designed one, differences you hear cannot be easily attributed to anything beyond placebo or some kind of error (like even a 0.5dB difference in one configuration).

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 7
you should listen before deciding to buy something, and it'd be great if you could borrow the headphone or dac,amp for a couple hours or even a day if some of your friends have it  

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 7
@protegemaniac is right. only thing that would be worth is like remastered stuff in 96/24, unless you are like me and just wants to be sure i'm getting everything.

​Or as it might happen in the future, digital downloads might come only in either mp3 or 24/96, like Dream Theater's The Astonishing​, which unlike other albums isn't available in 16bit/44.1khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back