Newbie here, please help me choose a good closed can!!!
Mar 27, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 37
Thanks for all the input, it really is appreciated. I think the front runners right now are the PRO750, and the ESW9. Seams like both of these combine the features I am looking for. I was originally gonna get the HFI780s, but I heard that they are really tight on the head and often uncomfortable. ESW9s look so sweet, I'm just wondering about the bass, how would it compare to the Ultrasone pairs (which I have read have really heavy bass)?

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 37
^^^Yes, it is hard for me as well...but I think I have narrowed it down to the PRO750 and the ESW9. I think these combine sound isolation, portability, bass, and use without an amp the best. I am no expert though, so any more input would be appreciated. What are you leaning toward?

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing how differently we all hear, to me ESW9 would be even better if they actually had less bass, I played with headband, stretching it out a to make them more comfortable and lessen bass impact. They are still a bit too heavy there to my taste.

Hah, I think we might even hear the same but choose differently, based on what music we listen to =] For me ESW9 impact is right there, not too much not too little, but then majority of my listening is trance =]

I think Ultrasones are better for OP also because of the music choice.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #21 of 37
The ESW9 cans are really nice. If you are willing to dish out that much dough why not try the ATH-A900ti (Titanium version) Those cans are sweet.....

The Denon 2000's look nice as well.... I'd say that your budget seems to be higher than mine almost making it more difficult to choose. You have many more options than I had. The Denon's were just too much for my budget. I'll be getting the DT770's any day now and I will be posting my initial impressions vs my old and trusted Sennhesier 280 pros.

The Ultrasones are nice but seem to use different technology than most other cans.... I might have to hear them first before diving in, I don't know. Any headphone you can't put on and hear is going to be a gamble. Sometimes you get lucky, as I did with my 4+ year old 280's and sometimes you get burned, as I did with the Sony 7506.

One can you have NOT mentioned that you can get on ebay new, is the Sony 7509HD cans which I've heard are really nice and they will probably last a long time and are closed.

I'd say your tough choice is a matter of taste.

Sony MDR 7509HD - very typical looking but highly used in professional applications. Good bass and crisp highs yet pretty neutral as studio monitors.

HFI 780's look really nice. They claim to be good for everything, which sounds really nice. Clamping tightness you can get used to unlike "on ear" pain. That's untolerable for me.

The ESW9s look very well made but I don't know how they compete with the ATH-A900tis.... I've heard more about those in popularity than the ESW9 series for overall use.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 37
First, thanks everybody for your input, especially david_001. For a fellow newb you have been tons of help.

Both the Ultrasones are very appealing to me because I have heard that they have lots of bass, something that I wouldn't mind. Also, they both fold which is a nice addition for portability. The reason I am leaning more toward the PRO750 is because they just look a lot more comfortable with the velvet earpads. The HFI780 seem to clamp really tight, and the pleather pads look a lot less inviting than the PROs. Quite frankly, I have a pretty big head...the combination doesn't sound like a winner. I also like the fact that the PROs have the coiled cable.

I was really considering the Denon AH-D2000 because I have read on this forum and about everywhere else that they are great cans...but I have also read that they are pretty terrible as far as isolation goes. Also, they seem pretty big, and I don't think they fold, hence they are not very portable.

The Audio Tech ESW9 win the looks category by a long shot. Again, I like the fact they are portable, and it seems like most find them comfortable. Seems like they have pretty balanced sound, and a good amount of bass (not like the Ultrasones though). Sounds like isolation is good enough, so no problems there.

I have kind of eliminated the Beyers as well. I listed to them quickly today at Guitar Center and I did like the sound, but I have heard that an amp might be necessary. Also, they are quite bulky and I don't think they are foldable. They were pretty comfy though.

I will look into the ATH-A900ti, thanks for the suggestion.

That is pretty much how I have arrived at the PRO750 and the ESW9, but I'm having a hard time making a decision, has anybody used both?

I'm sort of leaning toward the PROs since they seem better suited for my music tastes, but every time I see the ESW9s it makes me think twice, just love the look.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PENNYoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is pretty much how I have arrived at the PRO750 and the ESW9, but I'm having a hard time making a decision, has anybody used both?

I'm sort of leaning toward the PROs since they seem better suited for my music tastes, but every time I see the ESW9s it makes me think twice, just love the look.

Yes, I had PL750 and currently own ESW9. ESW9 is a safer bet imo, as they are universally accepted by everyone, Ultrasones have very specific idiosyncratic signature, buying them without auditioning is a gambling, I personally couldn't stand them, bright and aggressive treble and overbeaten bass with unfilled void in between. But that's me, a lot of people adore them. Go figure.
confused.gif

That's probably why you've got just two votes for them.
If comfort is your number one thing, I'd get D2000, as neither ESW9 nor PL750 are comfortable in a long run.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 37
I think I have to just find someplace where I can try out some Ultrasones, since it seems like they are a "personal preference" type of phone. Sounds like people either love them or hate them, and I am not gonna find out what side I'm on until I can test them out. Again, thanks for the help guys.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by x-kevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for optimal quality and good listening to music... go with DT770's

But have you heard the other headphones mentioned?

I second MaloS's recommendations and reasons for them. I'd avoid the FOTM 780s, as they are one of the very few headphones I truly disliked completely (yes, they were burned-in), but the 750s might be a good choice. My vote's for the ESW9, but you might prefer the 750s. I think there's a pair for sale here.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #27 of 37
I can say the ESW9s are enormous fun straight out of the box. I haven't had time to form a considered opinion of them yet, nor have I heard the other suggestions.

They also seem comfortable, though just a tad clampy given they exert pressure directly on the ear as they sit on & not over it. I sense this will lessen in time given some training over a few books while they burn in.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 37
Got my DT770's today and man they got some full sound on music that sounded a bit thin on the 280 pros. This is without burn in.

The bass is tight and accurate.....source seems to matter alot. Mine is PC powered so the sound is pretty good coming from my X-fi.

Vocals are nice. ALOT better than the Sony 7506's I tried. The bass is much better in quality.

They are not very portable, but they are rugged. I'd rather have rugged long lasting than portable cans that end up wearing out like my 280's. I don't see anything breaking on these DT770's.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 37
Sounds like you've done your research & have narrowed it down to a couple great choices. Chances are you'll love either of those...OR NOT! Another consideration for you & I think one of the great benefits about being a member of this community is that you are not so locked into the commitment of a major purchase like you might normally be. The For Sale forum here is great for allowing you the option of trying out your new HPs & if you don't like them, then you can turn around & sell them @ a minimal loss. Sure helps with the anxiety or hesitancy of buying a pr of HPs that you've never had a chance to listen to beforehand.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 37
I do want to add that I believe the 280's at first I couldnt keep on my head hours upon hours either, but they loosened up. Now they still are more comfy than the DT770's but that's after 4+ years of wearing them and getting them used to my head. I'm going to stick it out with the DT770's. I wore them for a few hours today, ears are sore, but nothing intolerable like the 7506 Sony's. They fit over the ear but are round instead oval so that does make a difference. I didn't realize how large the ear pads of the Senn's really are until now. The DT770's win out in sound though for 100%. Construction is TUFF. Also, they are lighter than the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back