Newbie here..DAC or AMP
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
HAi..can anyone tell me the difference between DAC and AMP?If i use DAC, do i still need AMP?how about otherwise?

If I want to buy 1, what should I get first?DAC or Amp? which one improve sound quality more??

Thank you

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey there...to keep it simple:

DAC is a digital to analog converter. Turns ones and zeros into sound.

Amplifiers provide the power to "drive" headphones and speakers, so you can hear your music.

You can't choose "just" one to hear music...you need both a DAC and amp to listen to music. You can, however choose to upgrade one component at a time. A DAC upgrade requires that you have a digital output from the place where you "keep" music...whether it be a computer/digital audio player(ie: ipod)/cd/stereo. An amp requires an analog output (headphone out/line out).

That being said, how are you listening to music right now? Even the most basic computer sound cards or DAP have DACs and amps.

Your choice in how you listen to your music (speakers/headphones) also determines your "needs". Full size headphones have a tendency to need more "juice" than your ipod can provide. In that case, amping really helps. I should back up a second and say amping *almost* always helps. Almost, because the amp may be of poorer quality and introduce noise. An amp may also have a sound signature you don't really like. But in general an amp will help provide a fuller bass, a bigger sound stage, more dynamics and details.

Without more information (including budget), it's hard to say what to get.

If you have a low budget, it may be more wise to save up more money and get better phones, rather than get a cheaper amp/dac.

The truly high end folks say get a separate dac, preamp and amp.

Good luck.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 8
A DAC is just a Digital To Analog converter. That just means it takes the 0100101001 and makes it into da da da daaaa. All digital devices that you use already have an internal DAC in order to do the conversion. The quality of the conversion is an issue.

The Amp is something that just takes the already analog sound and makes it louder. The best example is the turn table. If you just lay the needle down on the LP, it just scratches the surface gently. The amp takes those scratches, and amplifies them so you can actually hear them. The LP is carved in a way that the scratch sounds make music, so the amplified sound of the scratching is what you end up calling music. Your device already has an amp built into it, so it is again a matter of quality of amplification.

So...

10010100101 >> DAC >> da da daaa da >> AMP >> DA DA DAAA DA >> Brain

Generally, if you replace the DAC with an external DAC, you will bypass the amp. Unless you have some weird device that will let you feed an external DAC back into the internal Amp, you will need to have an external amp also. Depending on the device you have, the quality of the internal DAC and Amp will vary. Generally they are not too good, but they are getting better.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 8
I have westone 3 and use it with ipod touch..just need something to make the sound better..so which one I need better?

I thought that DAC already has amp inside it...Is there any product with DAC and Ampli combined?

Moreover, generally, although I do not what an impedance is, which ear/headphone needs amp to get better? the high impedance or low impedance??

thank you for your replies

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have westone 3 and use it with ipod touch..just need something to make the sound better..so which one I need better?

I thought that DAC already has amp inside it...Is there any product with DAC and Ampli combined?

thank you for your reply

Most external DACs seem to come with a built in Amp. The most popular right nows seems to be the iBasso D10 and RSA Predator. I am not sure how you use the DAC with the iPod though.. I am just kind of portable noob.

Do you have the 2G touch? Those actually have quite good internal amps and dacs.

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most external DACs seem to come with a built in Amp. The most popular right nows seems to be the iBasso D10 and RSA Predator. I am not sure how you use the DAC with the iPod though.. I am just kind of portable noob.

Do you have the 2G touch? Those actually have quite good internal amps and dacs.

Agreed. Most external DACs do have headphone amps.

The iPod doesn't allow you to use an external DAC, since I believe it only provides an analog out. In other words, when you plug your westones into the iPod, you are utilizing the iPods DAC and amp. There is no way around it. Certain DAPs, ie: old iRivers have an optical/digital out, which allow you to bypass the player's DAC&AMP and use an external, higher quality DAC and/or amp.

From what I read, the iPod touch is supposed to have a fairly good DAC and amp.

Don't worry too much about what Impedance means. It's basically the term that describes a circuit's resistance to the free flow of electrons. As an analogy, imagine turning on your hose in the front yard...when you place your thumb over the nozzle, you are impeding the free flow of water. Higher impedance = higher resistance.

High impedance phones require higher voltage. This is something that smaller DAPs/amps can not provide. An external amp will be necessary for optimum sound. Your westones look like they have 30ohm impedance, quite low.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks for this, was usefull to me aswell, as a noob in hifi. got some stuf cleared up for me

and a quick question while on the subject

if i purchased the ultrasone proline 750s that has a 40ohm impedance (accourding to ultrasone.com), they would be able to be driven by most mp3-players? or wouldi need an amp? because i don't really fel like running around with more in my pockets than nessaray
wink.gif

also IF i were to buy a portable amp, any reccomendations for a VERY cheap one (student friendly price!)? (im into Drum and bass + Dubstep and that sort of stuff, if it helps)

thanks

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for this, was usefull to me aswell, as a noob in hifi. got some stuf cleared up for me

and a quick question while on the subject

if i purchased the ultrasone proline 750s that has a 40ohm impedance (accourding to ultrasone.com), they would be able to be driven by most mp3-players? or wouldi need an amp? because i don't really fel like running around with more in my pockets than nessaray
wink.gif

also IF i were to buy a portable amp, any reccomendations for a VERY cheap one (student friendly price!)? (im into Drum and bass + Dubstep and that sort of stuff, if it helps)

thanks

Ramses, a 40 ohm impedance is low enough to be driven by your iPod/zune/whatever. An amp will likely help with a slightly larger soundstage, fuller bass, better dynamics. The ultrasone may not improve as much as you would think, since they are so easily driven already.

Portables...maybe an iBasso T4, Filo E5 if you have a small budget/want a small amp. I would recommend saving up more for something more substantial. A cheaper amp may help you out, but then you'll start thinking how you could improve the sound more, and that turns into a cycle of upgrading. For me, I'd save up and get something desktop based, with a DAC. Or, if you have to have something portable, iBasso D10, Headsix/3move, RSA Mustang, Quables iQube or Headamp pico are the top of the line portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back