Newbie help... Please guide me
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 43
Well it make sense to me but what do i know... Yet. Im a noob at this still.

Well yea i figured that the DAC will only be used for PC.

I only use my headphones in my home so i dont need a portable rig. My Cowon S9 i use when meditating and such. So knowing that i will need a DAC/AMP for a desktop rig what would be my best choice on a range of 150-300?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelgome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fenixdown110, What would make a DAC/AMP better quality? example Why is the 3Move almost 300 dollars and the Aune hifidity.net MK2 150 dollars

Better quality parts used to make it pretty much without having to go into detail.

The only way to prevent cable damage is just to be careful. I'm serious, that's all there is to it.
biggrin.gif
Recabling is just an option.
smily_headphones1.gif
You can always just replace the damaged wire with a factory replacement.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Well it make sense to me but what do i know... Yet. Im a noob at this still.

Well yea i figured that the DAC will only be used for PC.

I only use my headphones in my home so i dont need a portable rig. My Cowon S9 i use when meditating and such. So knowing that i will need a DAC/AMP for a desktop rig what would be my best choice on a range of 150-300?

I'm guessing you want to save as much money as possible too? I would go with the Aune since it doesn't sound like you're a super hardcore audiophile. It will take care of your needs and it's a decent build. Oh, I just checked the price for the Aune. It's now 165 shipped due to the v2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I recable because mine is wearing off. Is it a crime lol? Only $100+ for 4 feet and the cable's thick enough for me. I'm a clumsy boy
smily_headphones1.gif

I would do the same.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I'm replacing, I might as well upgrade at the same time.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 43
Im not a hardcore audiophile because i dont have the money haha

And again im just starting in this i dont want to go crazy and start out with HD800 or something like that.

Regardless, my rig is for music, anime, games, and shows.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

tvrboy so your saying that what ALO Audio does is just a waste of money?

YES. The SXC cryo wire they offer for the HFI780 costs more than the headphone itself! Even those that really believe in cables will never say a cable can make a headphone twice as good. If you want to spend that kind of money, just sell your HFI780 and buy a better headphone.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 43
Coolio im glad i found out that is only 5 to 10% of difference.

I decided to get the Aune hifidity.net MK2 SE. I believe its pretty decent to start out with.

I read a few review on it and i love how a DAC works. I've literally spent the last few hours reading up on things.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #24 of 43
You can also diy some wires for much much less.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #25 of 43
I'm waiting for the release of the Aune MK2 SE as well. Looks like both of us will have it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #26 of 43
Meh, ill just take care of my headphones that all regardless i wont be taking them outside so they wont have much movement apart from hoping off my banana hanger onto my head and back.

So just to have future upgrade what should i upgrade on later on? a better amp/dac? or just chill out for a few years?

Btw Fenixdown110, lol i dont remember my account on anime-planet.com but i have a legit 6 months total time of anime i have watched ^_^ way more now since its been like 1 year since ive visited that site

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 43
You should also look into the Audio GD Compass DAC/amp ~$250. I don't know how it compares to some of the others listed, but there as many extensive reviews in both of the Compass threads in the Headphone Amps (Full Size) forum.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #28 of 43
The answer is a little more subtle. The layman's technical explanation (and yes I see the contradiction in that statement) is this:

DAC -> turns digital audio files (which ultimately amount to 0s and 1s) into an analog signal.

An amplifier amplifies this signal.

The reason that people are so concerned with them is two-fold. In terms of DAC's, there are different levels of DAC chip and design that are quantifiably more accurate. Also, workmanship, flexibility of inputs/outputs, and the unique sound signature of each individual DAC will affect the final sound.

Imagine you have two bodybuilders, one maxes out at 250 lbs, and the other at 500 lbs. If you have a 200 pound weight, both of the them will be able to lift it, but the one who maxes out at 500 will be able to maneuver with it much more easily. It's a similar concept with amplifiers. Yes, many amplifiers can technically handles many headphones (though the weakest amps with the lowest sensitivity/highest resistance headphones will probably not work on any level), but the nicer an amp is the more easily it will manipulate the diaphragms in the headphone, and thus the more accurate, better sound you will get. Also, like DACs, individual amp designs will have particular sonic characteristics that will change the sound for the better or worse, or just different preferences.

Google is your friend, as is the search function.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #29 of 43
Madelvice, i understand that you just told me to google or search for an answer.

But lets say i want to know how my headphones will sound with a certain amp/dac how would i come about of knowing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back