Newbie Headphones
Feb 14, 2002 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

wallstreet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm completely new to the audiophile scene, and i want to get a decent set of cans for my computer, and my budget is around $50. I want the speakers to be able to play all genres well, and be not too heavy on bass, but more of balanced sound. I will also use them to play games when the noise might distrub the neighbors. The cans should be comfortable, cover the whole ear, pererably have a low leakage of sound, and suited for several hours use at a time ... portability isn't a factor. Also where can i find some good online stores that sell headphones?

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 28
Well, everything you want in a $50 can won't be had.

The Koss KSC-35s or 50s are rather boomy sounding.

Grado SR-60s will run a bit more (Or used they will be $40ish) and they LEAK

Sony V6es won't leak, and should do the trick, but are a bit more ($60 or so)

Sennheiser HD477s or 497s are probably a good choice too, if a bit expensive.

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 28
I know that im really limited by my budget, but im not very picky as all i have listened too are the $15 radio shack headphones. I don't think i would like the grados, as i have heard they are uncomfortable though. There also seems to be a war about the v6's ... a lot of people like them, a lot of people saw that they are too dry and aren't good for listening to music at all ... so that confuses me. I think i have it narrowed down to one of the senns or the v6 sony. My main concern is where i should get this stuff online (US). I'm used to using pricwatch.com for comp parts, but they only have some cheap headphones. So what are your guys fav online stores?

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 28
BTW, im going to get the kcs-50's for my portable CD player and mp3 player. I want something heavier for just home use
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 28
The KSC-35's are NOT rather boomy sounding --definitely not for a newbie!

I would suggest the KSC-35's over the KSC-50's. I have both; go for the 35's.

I would suggest the V6's, you can get them from here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/etronicsnet/sonmdrv6.html

Between the MDR-V6's and the KSC-35's, you will basically have two of the best introductory headphones out there, and definitely perhaps the two most versatile headphones out there too!!

Also, consider waiting for the Koss UR-40's to come out. They uses the same drivers as the 35/50/Portapro/Sportapro, but are cheap, stylish, and best of all -- closed!

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 28
ya its a lot to ask for in your budget.....

however i think the koss 35's plus an extention cord would suit the role real nice. However, you seem hooked on full size cans (like all other newbies) so the choices are a little limited.

Anyway, in your price range there are a few full size cans, some closed, that you can consider. There is the koss ur20 and 30, both closed, but theyre supposibly boomy and bad for music (mite be good for gaming). Like glue said you can wait for the 40's which no one knos much about yet.

the bare minimum closed set that i would recommend is the v6 (and its not a bare minimum product, its really good for its price). it would be GREAT for your application, only its a little beyond your budget ($20 mite not be that big a deal to u, i dunt kno).

happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 28
Thanks for the suggestion gluegun. The Koss ur-40's sound great, but i don't think i can't wait very long. As for the V6's i have heard that the cord is really thin and is easy to break ... is this going to be a problem? Also i read a good review of the senn 490 on ign, but they said that leakage was a problem. Is it bad enought that a person in the same room as you can hear lyrics and everything, or just the general beat?

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 28
LOL!

Friend, *every* company has great products, and mega duds.

As far as Sennheiser is concerned, for your purposes, the 497 is a great product, but the 490 is a mega dud...

(Info's hearsay)

And, no, the V6 is one of the more durable headphones on the planet...

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

As for the V6's i have heard that the cord is really thin and is easy to break ... is this going to be a problem?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I don't know WHERE you heard this, but it's definitely NOT true! *Measures V6 cord diametre*...
I'd say it's about 4 mm thick. It's gonna take a helluva good effort to try to break that thing!

Well actually, the cords that go from the earcups to the headband (not the main cord that I measured above) are quite exposed, and they're thinner.. about 1 mm in diametre. Not a problem though... I've never had a problem with it, and many people have had their V6s for well over a decade which are still in good shape! Durability is NOT a concern with these cans.

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 28
wallstreet:

when i introduced a friend of mine to the koss ksc35 he absolutely loved them. went from being a normal computer gamer to someone who locked himself in and played games for HOURS on end with the ksc35's.

contrary to what ppl say about the open-aired ksc35's, it's leakage isn't all that great (compared to full size cans) and it's fantastic at LAN partys- light, portable and great positional audio.

my friend told me his frag counts went up. that can't be a bad thing.
:)

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Friend, *every* company has great products, and mega duds.

What's Grado's "mega-dud"? The SR40? They seem to be the only company that's pretty consistent with the quality of their products...

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 28
Between the 490 and the V6?? Well then, V6. No question.

You really _should_ consider the KSC-35 though. I haven't heard 'em, but almost everybody who's heard 'em absolutely love 'em.

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 28
Oh, and just to make sure in case you didn't already know.

MDR-V6 is NOT the same thing as the MDR-V600!

V6 = Good cans
V600= Very very bad cans

But I'm sure you knew that already...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 28
V6's will whoop the 490's.

V6's won't whoop the 497's.

However, what the 497 has over the V6 in sound quality, the V6 wins out in build quality.

Info's hearsay...

Honestly, man, consider waiting for the UR-40's!!! It will be available in early spring...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back