Newbie: Headphone help needed $100-200
Feb 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Souji

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to all my fellow Head-fi'ers!

I've been having trouble figuring out what headphones best suit me. I'm looking for some headphones that would be good for r&b, hip-hop, rap, kpop and also some dance/house, bass is important I guess... I would most likely use them at home on a computer, so OPEN can headphones would be preferred. I listen to music for a relatively good amount of time, maybe 4-5 hours in a session, so comfortability would be cool.

With my budget I've been looking at the Alessandro MS-1i, Grado SR80, or the ATH-AD700. I'm not so sure if these suit my needs for my musical taste. These headphones are in the $100 range, but I don't mind spending up to $200. I don't think I would be buying an amp anytime soon, but maybe later on in the future.

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind listening to them outside with my iPod Touch 1st Gen 32GB.
Any suggestions? Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 7
if you want bass and to be able to take them outside, I'd probably go closed.

Maybe a Denon D1001, Audio Technica ES-7 or Audio Technica M50.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 7
I share a lot of the same music tastes as you TC and I have to say the MS1 and Grado SR80's will benefit your tastes a lot more than the AD700s. I got them because I really wanted the better detail and soundstage for my other side of listening(jazz, classical, etc.) but the way they handle some of my hip hop, r&b, and pop can be a bit disappointing. Sometimes I find myself missing my portapros a bit but the quality just totally overwrites that. So, I would recommend you stick in that category with the MS1, SR80, 125i, and 225i. I have not heard these for myself but everyone here pretty much agrees those cans are a way better suit for that kinda stuff. I personally will be picking up the MS1s soon so I can get back that type of sound just so I can have some diversity in my listening.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Awesome thanks guys!

I might go with the MS-1 headphones, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're budget is up $200, i'd suggest a used pair of HD580/600. they are comfortable for long periods of time (imo) and the bass is there in terms of quality and quantity

he doesn't plan on buying an amp any time soon. Not saying you have to have an amp to run them, but there are substantially better values if you're not going amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back