newbie: HD497 upgrade at roughly the same price?
Feb 27, 2004 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

marvie

New Head-Fier
I want to replace my HD497 which I've used for about a year. Some trouble developed with the cord and I figured that I might as well just change the entire set rather than just replace the cable
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't 100% happy with the HD497 anyway since it isn't very comfortable if I wear it for a long time.

Soooo...

What would you recommend, based on these criterion:

1. Budget: $60, unless it is really worth paying more!

2. Portability: Don't really care. I have KSC-35 for that. I might reconsider if it is easily driven by my 3rd gen iPod.

3. Closed/Open: Not sure.. should I go open or close? I've heard some not-so-good things about closed cans.. so I'm not sure where to go here. My intuition is to get a closed one because I didn't like the way HD497 leaks sound.

4. Amp: I don't have an amp, and can't afford one. Look at #1
wink.gif

5. Comfort: Extremely important!

6. Considering: Grado SR60/SR80.

I have high hopes for you guys since I've been lurking here for a quite a while. Thanks in advance!

Edit: May I add that I have a very diverse taste of music, and I will generally use the headphones on the computer for games, movies, and everything in between.

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 16
The Grados will leak sound too...

The SR-80s need an amp to sound better than the SR-60s from what I understand.

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by UberNewb
The Grados will leak sound too...

The SR-80s need an amp to sound better than the SR-60s from what I understand.

That's why I'm asking for more recommendations because those 2 don't really fit the bill
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 16
The Sony MDR-CD580s start on the net for about $50, and the Sony MDR-CD780s, on a good day, can be found on the net for about $70 or $80. The CD780s have gained a little following here so you could do a search on them. If you live near a Sony outlet store the one in Pennsylvania, for example, seems to always have refurbished CD580s for $40.

In my mind, these are the two best phones and the two most comfortable phones in your price range, though I think the Grado SR60s are highly competitive. The CD780s are easily worth the extra cash if you have it to spare, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally posted by marvie

What would you recommend, based on these criterion:

1. Budget: $60, unless it is really worth paying more!

2. Portability: Don't really care. I have KSC-35 for that. I might reconsider if it is easily driven by my 3rd gen iPod.

3. Closed/Open: Not sure.. should I go open or close? I've heard some not-so-good things about closed cans.. so I'm not sure where to go here. My intuition is to get a closed one because I didn't like the way HD497 leaks sound.

4. Amp: I don't have an amp, and can't afford one. Look at #1
wink.gif

5. Comfort: Extremely important!

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 16
Keep em' coming!

Is the MDR-V6 still worth buying? If yes, where do I find them?

I am not a really big fan of Sony.. but if it's good stuff I will buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: How much does the SR60/SR80 really leak sound (if possible, compared to the HD497)? If it's not much, it would really make my choice easier!

Feb 27, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't mind leaking, so I'd go with the SR-60s
rs1smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 16
I've been searching for a set of headphones using basically the same criteria that you're using, and I'm pretty much settled on the Beyerdynamic DT 231's. They're about $60, I hear they've got a smooth sound with good midrange, and apparently they leak lots of sound in but don't leak very much out. I'm getting them as an upgrade to my current portable cans, the Porta Pros.

You could check out the 231's too, but here's the thing: The detail of Grado cans, even in the entry-level models, is amazing. They're lacking in soundstage and they don't sound particularly lush, but they really are mindblowing pieces of equipment. The reason I'm getting the Beyers and not Grados is that I've already owned Grados before. I had a pair of SR 80's for about a year, and I thought they were awesome... WAAAY better than the HD 497's in my opinion. If you've never heard Grados before, I suggest you forget Beyers, forget looking for another Senn model, and just buy some SR 60's. They're right in your price range. They may not be as good as the SR 225's or other more advanced grado models, but they'll let you experience the Grado sound in all its brutally impactful glory. And I mean that in the best way possible.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 16
I have to say I'm interested in this as well. I have a pair of 497's and while I think they sound great, they really don't suit most of my music. I'd say 70% of what I listen to is rock, and the sound is just too veiled. I need something a little more forward. Are SR-60's the way to go?

These will be primarily for home use out of a mini-system, as I have the e2c's for portable. I am not willing to buy an amp at this time so I want something that doesn't need one. Price range: 60-80 dollars. Any otehr good recommendations?

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Yes. Grados tear into music in a way that Senns don't. If the majority of your music is rock, they're the way to go.

The 60's are probably the safest bet. The 80's are only a few bucks out of your price range, but the price adds up when you add different pads.

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 16
From what I've gathered, isn't it only that the older SR80's (pre 1998?) are uncomfortable? If the comfort isn't much different, I wouldn't mind spending more for the SR80.

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 16
All that has been said about Grados is true. They are very involving, and sound exellent; I don't think I need to elaborate. But, they leak a ton. More than any other headphone I've ever seen or heard, to be honest. It's unfortunate, but I've come to accept it.

At that price point though, I have never heard a better sounding headphone.

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 16
If you considering closed phones, I would highly recommend Sony V6.
Pros: Extremely efficient (don't need external headphone amp even with my single AA battery powered MD player), Affordable but descent quality, very portable (folds small) and sound will not leak

Cons: A bit bright (compare to HD280pro), pleather (will deteriorate with time) and you cannot hear anything around you (bad for walking down the street).

It can be purchased from etronics.com for under 70, enter code "HTCK430" to get free home theater care kit (I think it includes cassette cleaner, VHS cleaner and CD cleaner). When I ordered my 2nd pair, etronics shipped it in same day (7 bucks for USP ground shipping). Hurry while they still have them in stock! Good luck!

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back