Newbie has questions on portable/DT rig w/ Red Wine iMod as source
May 27, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 111
...and in regards to the 5g iMod... forget all that. Get an old-school, refurbished iMod for the cheap. They're all the same...and get an extra long life battery to boot. That'll save you a good bit.

Spend $200 on the Supermini. They sound like they're worth it, but mine is taking a while to ship. 2 month minimum wait...rough stuff. :-/

May 27, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend this:

iMod -> SuperMini -> Koss KSC75 (headband from the Durabrand PR355 [Walmart] if she doesn't like the earclips).

My girlfriend's ears are too small for the earclips, but she LOVES the headband I just got her.

The KSCs are hard to beat - I promise!

4G iMod, I presume? - I'll look up the KSCs...

May 27, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #19 of 111
Quote:

...and in regards to the 5g iMod... forget all that. Get an old-school, refurbished iMod for the cheap. They're all the same...and get an extra long life battery to boot. That'll save you a good bit.

Spend $200 on the Supermini. They sound like they're worth it, but mine is taking a while to ship. 2 month minimum wait...rough stuff. :-/

SuperMini... I think saw high ratings in a comparative review on HeadFi? Definitely leaning toward the 4G - maybe secondhand from someone who can't resist the latest iMod! :wink:

May 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 111
Quote:

...maybe even try iBasso T2 amp instead of Supermini if you're feeling cheap. Supermini and T2 are both hard to beat, like the KSCs.

Now iBasso T2 is new to me - gotta look it up...

May 27, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 111
Well, the iBasso looks like a piece of audio jewelry.
cool.gif
If it actually sounds good enough hooked up to a 1st generation nano, my wife might really like the idea as she's already got one, bought for audiobook duty.

May 27, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you did mention lightweight headphones that are 'fast'. What else can I say?

iMod -> SuperMicro IV (or Xin's new Reference Amp) -> Etymotic ER-4S. You are set! Especially for classical

Taking another look at the Etymotic ER-4S... I'm impressed by the numerous reports of naturalness and neutrality, of responsiveness to good amplification, and furthermore that Siegfried Linkwitz has a pair he uses as reference earphones. And maybe they could serve as a monitoring tool for discreet field recording with a little toy like the latest miniature Korg recorder?

If only Xin were not reportedly so slow to deliver...

May 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by philslade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... we'd really use the DC jack included in the "Maxxed" version when at home. The only question is, what's a good power supply, in light of the following caution:

Get a non-switching regulated 12VDC power supply. You should be able to get one for about $35 from ELPAC.

May 27, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by philslade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And while I'm at it, I've looked at the pricing on the RWA 5/5.5G iMod + ILO cable and I have to go, "whoa." If we're really talking $550 for the iMod plus a minimum of $110 for the cable, that kinda gives me pause. If we're talking multiple ILO ICs (e.g., ipod > RCA connector at $235), it really starts to add up.
eek.gif
I'm also wondering about the pricing on the upcoming iMod Dock Cable w/ dc power jack & power supply:

Pretty soon we're north of $1,000 with a 5G iMod, the ILO connector/dock, a good amp, and decent headphones or IEMs. Kinda makes me wonder about going with a 4G iMod instead or just getting a nice desktop DAC + amp to be fed out of a Mac mini (same price as 5g iMod - and we've already got it!), plus a stock iPod w/ a Portaphile.

Decisions, decisions...
confused.gif

Get an used or refurbished 4G 60GB iPod Photo. I say 60GB so you can carry the largest number of apple lossless files (aobut 2,200 songs or 185 CD's). Then send it to Vinnie to get it modded, if used get a new high capacity battery. If refurbished then you do not need a new battery since as part of the refurbishement a new battery is "normally" installed.

Then get an interconnect, you could go with one from Turbo or Fitz (DIY) for about $30 including S&H. He uses silver plated copper, it sounds very nice. Or you could go one step up the ladder with a Cryo Silver from Brad at Revelation Audio. Brad uses 99.999% cryo silver and he charges $79 including S&H (this happens to be my current favorite IC). Finally you have ALO and one of their many options.

So the costs would be:

- $150 for an used 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo plus $20 for a new battery
- $220 for a refurbished 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo
- $35 for an iPod Case (I use and love the Contour Case)
- $215 for the iMod from Vinnie. You will spend about $15 shipping your unit to Vinnie.
- $30 to $210 in an IC
- $250 for the new Dr. Xin Reference Amp
- $25 for a good bag say from Crumpler
- $175 for an Etymotic ER4S (eBay or Amazon)

For illustration purpose let say you go for a refurbished 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo, the iMod, a Contour Case, an IC from Brad at Revelation Audio, a Reference Xin amp, an Etymotic ER4S, and a Crumpler Bag. Total Cost = $1014

Yes, $1,000 but it would be one heck of a rig. The only improvement (IMO)would be a 3 driver IEM like a Shure E500 and that would ad about $20 for a new grand total of $1,214

May 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 111
I wanted to put in my vote for an Imod. I have the 4G Imod and it really is outstanding. I don't think that you have to worry about outclassing this as a source with a portable rig. Vinnie recommends it as his source with his full size amps as well. The pure black background that the Imod lays down for your music to shine through is a portable rig must. If you are looking for a refurbished 4G Ipod, I bought mine through refurbished.com and have had no problems with it. Showed up looking absolutely new and at a much better price. Vinne does offer them through his site sometimes so you may want to compare pricing and see if he is still doing this. Vinnie just had a baby girl a couple of months ago...so you can help out his little daughter's college fund!

If you are a classical fan than I would also have to second your curiosity with the Ety ER-4S's as well. The main draw back to these is though their bass is very detailed, it can be a bit lacking in certain genres of music. The detail/clarity of these are just amazing. They recently have gone down in price and I picked up a set on Amazon for $179 shipped and there are no doubt other places to find them for cheaper. Not bad for an IEM that was going north of $300 before. If you buy the ER-4P they have an adaptor cable that basically converts them to the 4S...the 4P's are made more for unamped while the 4S's are for an amped set up...so it would give you a bit more flexibility. (The adaptor is $45 so it isn't that inexpensive.) Remember that with the Imod they disable the volume adjustment so you will need to run it amped...the line out volume that it runs at is very loud.

For an amp, Ray Samuel is a great guy to work with as well and he makes a great product. I have the SR-71 but I wouldn't recommend it for walking around the house with. I fly with it but it would be a bit cumbersome around the house. The Hornet M and the Tomahawk have had good enough press for me to consider adding it to the travel rig....they are much more compact and come in a variety of colors, etc to suit your (and your wife's) tastes. Just wish that my wife was a bit more interested in having a set up....lucky you!

I have had alot of luck with the Cable Pro Ear Candy for an interconnect. I found one used on Todd the Vinyl Junkie's website (ttvj.com). Todd is another great guy to work with and a sponsor of Headfi.com. I picked it up for about $50 dollars though it is (much) more new. You can search the FS sections here and perhaps find yourself a deal on an interconnect.

Hope this helps....

-Happy hunting

May 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, $1,000 but it would be one heck of a rig. The only improvement (IMO)would be a 3 driver IEM like a Shure E500 and that would ad about $200 for a new grand total of $1,214

If not for the fact that you need to be carrying it "around the house"
confused.gif

A grand would really open up the options for a desk rig, with or without headphones;
which sometimes I try hard to remind myself to stay rational, at least till my trusty h140
breaks down and I need to be looking for another portable source.

May 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #28 of 111
Quote:

Get a non-switching regulated 12VDC power supply. You should be able to get one for about $35 from ELPAC.

Thanks for the pointer!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 111
Quote:

Get an used or refurbished 4G 60GB iPod Photo. I say 60GB so you can carry the largest number of apple lossless files (aobut 2,200 songs or 185 CD's). Then send it to Vinnie to get it modded, if used get a new high capacity battery. If refurbished then you do not need a new battery since as part of the refurbishement a new battery is "normally" installed.

Then get an interconnect, you could go with one from Turbo or Fitz (DIY) for about $30 including S&H. He uses silver plated copper, it sounds very nice. Or you could go one step up the ladder with a Cryo Silver from Brad at Revelation Audio. Brad uses 99.999% cryo silver and he charges $79 including S&H (this happens to be my current favorite IC). Finally you have ALO and one of their many options.

So the costs would be:

- $150 for an used 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo plus $20 for a new battery
- $220 for a refurbished 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo
- $35 for an iPod Case (I use and love the Contour Case)
- $215 for the iMod from Vinnie. You will spend about $15 shipping your unit to Vinnie.
- $30 to $210 in an IC
- $250 for the new Dr. Xin Reference Amp
- $25 for a good bag say from Crumpler
- $175 for an Etymotic ER4S (eBay or Amazon)

For illustration purpose let say you go for a refurbished 4th Gen 60GB iPod Photo, the iMod, a Contour Case, an IC from Brad at Revelation Audio, a Reference Xin amp, an Etymotic ER4S, and a Crumpler Bag. Total Cost = $1014

Yes, $1,000 but it would be one heck of a rig. The only improvement (IMO)would be a 3 driver IEM like a Shure E500 and that would ad about $20 for a new grand total of $1,214

Mrarroyo, a thousand thanks for this detailed set-up!
etysmile.gif

It sits, no question, in a sweet spot in terms of price/performance. This sounds a lot like what I would want for a high-quality iPod-based rig for home office use and travel. And the worst part is that I've begun wondering about Ety's ER*2s (just kidding
wink.gif
).

May 27, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #30 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to put in my vote for an Imod. I have the 4G Imod and it really is outstanding. I don't think that you have to worry about outclassing this as a source with a portable rig. Vinnie recommends it as his source with his full size amps as well. The pure black background that the Imod lays down for your music to shine through is a portable rig must. If you are looking for a refurbished 4G Ipod, I bought mine through refurbished.com and have had no problems with it. Showed up looking absolutely new and at a much better price. Vinne does offer them through his site sometimes so you may want to compare pricing and see if he is still doing this. Vinnie just had a baby girl a couple of months ago...so you can help out his little daughter's college fund!

If you are a classical fan than I would also have to second your curiosity with the Ety ER-4S's as well. The main draw back to these is though their bass is very detailed, it can be a bit lacking in certain genres of music. The detail/clarity of these are just amazing. They recently have gone down in price and I picked up a set on Amazon for $179 shipped and there are no doubt other places to find them for cheaper. Not bad for an IEM that was going north of $300 before. If you buy the ER-4P they have an adaptor cable that basically converts them to the 4S...the 4P's are made more for unamped while the 4S's are for an amped set up...so it would give you a bit more flexibility. (The adaptor is $45 so it isn't that inexpensive.) Remember that with the Imod they disable the volume adjustment so you will need to run it amped...the line out volume that it runs at is very loud.

For an amp, Ray Samuel is a great guy to work with as well and he makes a great product. I have the SR-71 but I wouldn't recommend it for walking around the house with. I fly with it but it would be a bit cumbersome around the house. The Hornet M and the Tomahawk have had good enough press for me to consider adding it to the travel rig....they are much more compact and come in a variety of colors, etc to suit your (and your wife's) tastes. Just wish that my wife was a bit more interested in having a set up....lucky you!

I have had alot of luck with the Cable Pro Ear Candy for an interconnect. I found one used on Todd the Vinyl Junkie's website (ttvj.com). Todd is another great guy to work with and a sponsor of Headfi.com. I picked it up for about $50 dollars though it is (much) more new. You can search the FS sections here and perhaps find yourself a deal on an interconnect.

Hope this helps....

-Happy hunting

Combat Audio, thanks for weighing in and I hope all is safe in Kabul on Memorial Day...

This is really very high praise for the iMod as a miniature source/DAC combo and I'm making a note of refurbished.com. For my own use, classical would pretty much be a staple, with eclectic helpings on the side, so the Ety ER-4S are looming as a big temptation. My wife might want more bass vigor,
basshead.gif
but obviously a good amp (and maybe a tad of EQ'ing - but she would want Apple's firmware) might accomplish that.

I have to say I was amazed by the report in this thread of a Tomahawk reaching a new sonic threshold after hundreds of hours of use. The size and the price, and the promise of this improvement, would make it possible as a premium option for an amp.
tongue.gif

And thanks for the IC tips, too. That seems to be yet another thorny choice, but HeadFiers are amazing at noting and recounting their experiences. I'm delighted at the menu that is building up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back