Newbie Grado SR-60 earpad question
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've had a pair of SR-60s for about 12 years and they rock! I haven't listened to them for a while until a few weeks ago and when I put them on I noticed that the earpads left black rings on my head
rolleyes.gif
--yeah, the foam had rotted. Way back, the pads had been taken off a pair of SR-80s that I didn't like as much and gave away, so they were the bigger type. (Is this what is reffered to here as bowls?) However, after all the years and rot they were very deflated and flat. Despite the rot, the headphones sounded amazing straight out of my 4G iPod, Anyway, I ordered another set of SR-80 pads from Grado and put them on my phones. To my surprise, the sound really changed for the worse. It was less focussed, not as loud, not as enveloping, and not as fun. and the bass suffered, too. What gives? What's the deal with flats and bowls, anyway? Do different pads have a lot of effect on the sound? I read some old posts on this but am still confused. Thanks in advance for your help!

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 6
When I first joined Head-Fi and read all the discussions surrounding the different sounds of the earpads, I thought yeah right. But yes, the sound changes a lot with the different pads.

I don't know about 12 years ago, but I believe the SR80 now ship with the bowl pads. Bowls and flats do sound different. You can search and read up on all the impressions. Flats have more bass than the bowls so maybe they'll give you the sound closer to your flattened bowls.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about 12 years ago, but I believe the SR80 now ship with the bowl pads. Bowls and flats do sound different. You can search and read up on all the impressions. Flats have more bass than the bowls so maybe they'll give you the sound closer to your flattened bowls.

These are definitely the bowls. Do bowls have anything positive over the flats? Do they sound better with time? I assume they are also more comfortable than the flats?

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Bowls let through more highs than the flats, but I personally find the bowls to be piercing as a result. They are also more uncomfortable than the flats.

When I had the SR-80, I used reversed bowls (search around) and prefer them over the flats & standard bowls. Give it a try. You might like it and save yourself some money from buying more pads.

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 6
A friend of mine gave me a set on Senn 414 pads for my Sr 60s ( Thanks Rich
rs1smile.gif
). I have been using them for a little while now and am getting to like them very much. I have them quarter modded and reversed.

Nov 18, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine gave me a set on Senn 414 pads for my Sr 60s ( Thanks Rich
rs1smile.gif
). I have been using them for a little while now and am getting to like them very much. I have them quarter modded and reversed.

Glad to hear that Rick!! How 'bout sending some pictures!??

Oops! Hang on a minute. They must look just like my MS-1s with reversed and quarter modded 414s!! I can see them from here!!
tongue.gif

Cool!

.....the wife still wants to try some pad rolling when she gets a round tuit since she's been using the MS-1s on her computer. She doesn't care for the bowls, and the 414s are just ok to her, so she's ready to try the rat shacks or the comfies next. The problem is....the MS-1s are too LIGHT for her! She prefers the weight of my MS2i to the lightness of the MS-1s!!

Who knew!!
rolleyes.gif

Now she thought the KSC75s were a good weight(thanks Rick, from the two of us!)but she couldn't see wearing them....no, said that wrong....couldn't see WHILE wearing them. Interfered with her glasses!! So they're ALL MINE!!
cool.gif

Rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back