Newbie from PA
Jul 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 22
What exactly are you looking for?  I have the C5 and MM1 so I know the sound well.  Source wise FLAC + COWON is popular here, and IEM wise you should look into the UE900 / Weston 4/4R / Shure 535 LE and such.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 22
Also one more thing. If you are looking for a new player there are many other choices. You don't need to get stuck with Apple products. Besides that iPod Classic is your only option for using E07K or E17 since it is the only one still with 30 pin connector.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #19 of 22
DrSheep - basically I'm looking for a neutral with a little bass setup. I mostly listen to rock, country, punk, classic rock. I'm really liking the C5 at the moment but the loops they have to secure them in my ears start to hurt after about an hour or so of listening. I ultimately would like a little higher end IEM. I have been looking at the IE80s and the Weston 4r for some possibilities.

reeshahn - yea I've been reading some other threads on here about other players. I wasn't aware of how many are actually out there. It's a little overwhelming because I do A LOT of research before I buy. And with being new to the audiophile scene it's a bit much but the Head-Fi forums are definitely helping.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
DrSheep - basically I'm looking for a neutral with a little bass setup. I mostly listen to rock, country, punk, classic rock. I'm really liking the C5 at the moment but the loops they have to secure them in my ears start to hurt after about an hour or so of listening. I ultimately would like a little higher end IEM. I have been looking at the IE80s and the Weston 4r for some possibilities.

reeshahn - yea I've been reading some other threads on here about other players. I wasn't aware of how many are actually out there. It's a little overwhelming because I do A LOT of research before I buy. And with being new to the audiophile scene it's a bit much but the Head-Fi forums are definitely helping.

I can tell you that I was just like you with the C5, love the sound, hate the loop and buds.  I end up getting the UE900 and the W4R not long after that.  Personally I like the UE900 better as it sounded less generic and with bright trebles like the C5.  However, the W4R is more warm and balanced and it is an equally good pick.  They sell the UE900 in Apple Stores so making returns easy, and you can also buy and return the W4R from Amazon by mail.  Player wise you need to look for one with a good DAC, but more popular offerings from Apple or Android are pretty good already.  Cowon Z2, J3, and X9 are also popular here due to their support of FLAC and Wolfson DAC.  However, if you want to go cheap, then Sandisk Sansa Clip plus Rockbox mod is another good way to go.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

I think you need to check Shure IEMs. I think even SE215 is matching your needs. If you have a higher budget (as high as IE80s) you can go for SE315 or SE535 as well.

If you also have a high budget for the player:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-AK100-Mastering-Quality-Portable/dp/B00A6LX0F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373953734&sr=8-2&keywords=Astell%26Kern

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK120-Dual-DAC-Mastering/dp/B00D648BDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373953734&sr=8-1&keywords=Astell%26Kern

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
Wow I didn't even see the X3 on their site. Just checked it out and that would probably be a great alternative. I'm also curious when it'll be released.

Well, in China, it's already released for about 1300 RMB (~200 dollars US). With specs like that, paired with a 64GB Class 10 MicroSD for an extra 400 (<60 bucks), you got yourself a hi-fi player.
   ...I just don't get why it's so damn thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back