Newbie first impressions of MS-2
Nov 15, 2004 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
I said I'd wait a week to post a review... but here are my first impressions.

Before you begin reading this I thought I had better let you know that this is my first review of audio equipment. I don’t have any high-end gear and I’ve only been listening ‘critically’ to headphones for a very short time (two months). These are only my second pair of quality phones (the others being my Etymotic ER-6i) and I’m not exactly sure how to review phones properly. Having said that though I do know what I like when it comes to sound and I am quite picky in my own tastes….

With that said you can put my words into perspective. This is a review from an audio newbie!

Equipment used in this review:
Source: iRiver H340 (Hard drive MP3 player) with Lame encoded MP3’s at –alt preset standard
Amp: Xin SuperMini v6.0x
Headphones: Alessandro MS-2 (not burned in… 3 hours of use)
Music: Rock and Metal (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Linkin Park, Static-X, Pantera…etc)

Aesthetics: I’m certainly no style guru but when I opened up the box I was impressed. I really like how these cans look. I think the aluminium (I think it’s aluminium) cups with the grill on the outside and the black pads really look great. The cable is quite thick and not as long as I expected (but heaps long enough for me). It would have been better in my opinion to have a single wire instead of the ‘Y’ but that is really just nit-picking.

Comfort: When I first put these on I thought they were a bit tight and clamped my head too tight. After a bit of adjustment though I can only just feel them on my head. I didn’t need to bend the headband as I have read some people do. I’ve been wearing them for about two hours now and they are still comfy. I must have a pretty small head as I’ve only adjusted the cups around 1cm from their smallest setting.

Sound: Straight out of the box I think these sound fantastic. All of the sounds seem to be where they should be and nothing overpowers anything else. Drums sound like drums and guitars sound like guitars. Soundstage is very small… A little wider than my head is my best guess.
Bass: Crisp, fast, tight. Those are the words that come to mind when trying to describe what I’m hearing. The bass is certainly there with these phones but it is in no way overpowering. For my ears it’s there in an almost perfect amount. Where in my Ety’s all I can hear is a slight ‘tik tik tick’ on the kick drum there is now a resounding ‘bang bang bang’ not at all boomy or muddy.

Mids: I really don’t know what words I could use to describe the midrange. Vocals are nice. Very clear and sweet sounding. They are quite ‘in your face’ sounding but not overpowering in any way.

Highs: I was worried before I got these phones as I had been told that they could sound quite harsh and piercing. Well I don’t know if it’s just my equipment or ears… but there is nothing harsh about the highs to my ears. There is a lot of treble detail present. I’m hearing things in the highs that I haven’t noticed before. There is no sign of any sibilance.
So there you have it. I’m not sure if I’m missing anything so if there is anything else you guys want to know just ask and I’d be happy to try and answer any questions. I will update this review in a week or two if anything changes with burn-in. (I’m not quite sure what to expect here though).

So far I’m a very happy listener.

Paul

Nov 16, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 30
I like your approach--clear, concise, organized. I'll watch for the update. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post.

Enjoy the new cans.

BW

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 30
Sounds like you're well on your way to enjoying these headphones. If you like the sound right out of the box, then I have no doubt you'll love how those things sound in about a month or so. Glad to see your purchase was worthwhile. I enjoyed the review. Keep us posted.

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 30
metallic feeling..........that is absolutely great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge
I said I'd wait a week to post a review... but here are my first impressions.

Before you begin reading this I thought I had better let you know that this is my first review of audio equipment. I don’t have any high-end gear and I’ve only been listening ‘critically’ to headphones for a very short time (two months). These are only my second pair of quality phones (the others being my Etymotic ER-6i) and I’m not exactly sure how to review phones properly. Having said that though I do know what I like when it comes to sound and I am quite picky in my own tastes….

With that said you can put my words into perspective. This is a review from an audio newbie!

Equipment used in this review:
Source: iRiver H340 (Hard drive MP3 player) with Lame encoded MP3’s at –alt preset standard
Amp: Xin SuperMini v6.0x
Headphones: Alessandro MS-2 (not burned in… 3 hours of use)
Music: Rock and Metal (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Linkin Park, Static-X, Pantera…etc)

Aesthetics: I’m certainly no style guru but when I opened up the box I was impressed. I really like how these cans look. I think the aluminium (I think it’s aluminium) cups with the grill on the outside and the black pads really look great. The cable is quite thick and not as long as I expected (but heaps long enough for me). It would have been better in my opinion to have a single wire instead of the ‘Y’ but that is really just nit-picking.

Comfort: When I first put these on I thought they were a bit tight and clamped my head too tight. After a bit of adjustment though I can only just feel them on my head. I didn’t need to bend the headband as I have read some people do. I’ve been wearing them for about two hours now and they are still comfy. I must have a pretty small head as I’ve only adjusted the cups around 1cm from their smallest setting.

Sound: Straight out of the box I think these sound fantastic. All of the sounds seem to be where they should be and nothing overpowers anything else. Drums sound like drums and guitars sound like guitars. Soundstage is very small… A little wider than my head is my best guess.
Bass: Crisp, fast, tight. Those are the words that come to mind when trying to describe what I’m hearing. The bass is certainly there with these phones but it is in no way overpowering. For my ears it’s there in an almost perfect amount. Where in my Ety’s all I can hear is a slight ‘tik tik tick’ on the kick drum there is now a resounding ‘bang bang bang’ not at all boomy or muddy.

Mids: I really don’t know what words I could use to describe the midrange. Vocals are nice. Very clear and sweet sounding. They are quite ‘in your face’ sounding but not overpowering in any way.

Highs: I was worried before I got these phones as I had been told that they could sound quite harsh and piercing. Well I don’t know if it’s just my equipment or ears… but there is nothing harsh about the highs to my ears. There is a lot of treble detail present. I’m hearing things in the highs that I haven’t noticed before. There is no sign of any sibilance.
So there you have it. I’m not sure if I’m missing anything so if there is anything else you guys want to know just ask and I’d be happy to try and answer any questions. I will update this review in a week or two if anything changes with burn-in. (I’m not quite sure what to expect here though).

So far I’m a very happy listener.

Paul

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge
Highs: I was worried before I got these phones as I had been told that they could sound quite harsh and piercing.

Hi Paul, congrats on the new MS-2's and welcome to the Alessandro family!
smily_headphones1.gif
The description in the quote is actually about SR325, NOT MS-2.

Please be sure to post some impressions about the burn-in too if you can...

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 30
imho around 40 hours of listening you'll have a new set of cans lol - if you love it now, watch out!

it also sounds like you have an affinity for the bowls, in which case no worries about the usual suggestions to try flats - enjoy your cans and have fun - great first review!

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Please be sure to post some impressions about the burn-in too if you can...

Will do...

Quote:

imho around 40 hours of listening you'll have a new set of cans lol - if you love it now, watch out!

After around 7 hours it's starting to sound even nicer (a little warmer...more smooth)

Quote:

it also sounds like you have an affinity for the bowls, in which case no worries about the usual suggestions to try flats

What makes you say I have an affinity for the bowls? I'd kinda be glad about not getting the flats for a while as my wallet is looking a little thin. I've tried reversing the bowls to see what would happen and I like what it does to the bass.... not so sure about the mids though. I'll have to take a closer listen. Is there much difference between reversed bowls and flats?

Loving These Cans
Paul

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 30
hello fellow victorian.....
pretty informative post on the ms-2....i'm thinking of picking one up once i recouple my dosh $$$.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 30
Yeah thanks for the review, Spadge. I have been looking into the MS-2 phones to complement my Senn HD600/Cardas combination, but I want to grab a headamp first and live with that upgrade for a while. Perhaps I will be satisfied enough when I get there? (Hmmm, suuure...
rolleyes.gif
) Still, it's always handy to read reviews and impressions of equipment I can buy locally Down Under.

P.S. I also listen to a lot of metal: mostly thrash, speed and death metal.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 30
spadge, where abouts in victoria do you live? i've recently got the ms-1 and was thinking of getting a pair of ms-2, if i do live close to you, do you think by any chance i could have a listen to your pair of ms-2?

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 30
someone has to break up this posting streak of victorians

/queenslander
//born in melbourne
///identifies as victorian when anyone will allow me to

Nov 21, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 30
We really need an MS-2 smile emoticon. I'm also a victorian and just ordered my MS-2s.

I'M PUMPED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back