Newbie: ER-4 vs. other high-end cans
Oct 17, 2002 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

laevi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a good pair of headphones, but I'm limited on cash. I'm really interested in the isolation, portability, and low impedance offered by the ER-4P. I'm trying to kill many birds with one stone here with the ER-4P, but given the $270 USD price tag, would it be better go go for slightly bigger, cheaper cans and an amp, i.e. Senn HD580 (~$170 USD) and a $100 amp? Thanks.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 9
This question is hard to answer without:

- the music you listen to
- your source
- your intended use
- and so on.

Didn't find anything in your profile either. There is really no situation in which one headphone is always better than another, so we typically like some context. Let us know a little more so we offer some realistic suggestions.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs
This question is hard to answer without:

- the music you listen to
I listen to many types (classical, pop, techno, rock, dance, etc), so I guess something neutral would be good.

- your source
Currently, I use a RioVolt SP100 mainly. I can imagine that I may want to connect it to the headphone out on my Kenwood stereo's amp or my computer's headphone out. I listen to mainly MP3s encoded at 256 kb/s and some CDs and lower bitrate MP3s on the side.

- your intended use
Because of limited cash, I want it to kill as many birds with one stone as possible.

- and so on.

Didn't find anything in your profile either. There is really no situation in which one headphone is always better than another, so we typically like some context. Let us know a little more so we offer some realistic suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi laevi,
You say you are attracted by the "isolation and portability" of the Etys, but I have a feeling that your sources may not be up to providing the clean signal the Etys need to really shine. They are VERY revealing 'phones, and as such, will show you all the shortcomings in your system.
A more forgiving headphone, such as the HD580 may be the ticket sonically, but then you sacrifice the isolation and portability which you say you want.
My suggestion, if you are willing to shell ouy $270 + for the Etys is to order them from Headroom. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you are dissatisfied for any reason. You'ld only be out the shipping costs. You may find them to be just what you're looking for..................or not.
Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Tough choice. I use both options, each has their strength. I go through phases where I travel a fair bit and the Etys are an absolute must for that - great isolation. But when I'm home, I usually don't want that much isolation, so I use my 580s with a JMT META42 amp - built to run off of 2 9v batteries or AC. If I had to live with just one setup, I'd probably go with the Senns route. No wait, can I take that back? In all honesty, I'd be lost w/out either, though my 580s are used more. I also find the Senns more comfortable for longer periods of time. Of course, YMMV.

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Both headphones are fantastic. You pretty much can't go wrong with either, excepting the obvious differences in portability and isolation as you mention. IMO, the 4p sound better directly out of a weak source than the 580s, but Joelongwood is right, the 4p are revealing of poor sources (but not as much as the 4s).

*Both are on the neutral side.
*Both are great.
*The 4p has the 4s/amp upgrade path which is nice.
*The 580 has the cardas/clou/equinox & amp upgrade path which is nice.

Very tough choice. You will likely have to make your decision based on your application rather than on which is better.

Good luck.

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by atherean
laevi,

If you're still considering the ER-4Ps, they can be had for $225.

Where?
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by atherean
laevi,

If you're still considering the ER-4Ps, they can be had for $225.

Yes, please share where the ER-4Ps can be had (new) for $225. Thanks for all the replies so far; they are much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back