newbie DIY'er here, 3.5mm connector
Oct 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys~
I just did my first DIY recable yesterday (thanks to sunnebear^^) and I had a lot of fun with it!
I was looking to do some more stuff, and thought about making some 3.5mm to 3.5mm plugs and other various connectors. For my recable, I used Mogami W2799 because I only used the cable itself, but I ran out xD
Do you guys have any recommendations for cables used in connectors? And I'm assuming all the plugs in this thread are trustworthy? Thanks for the help~

oh, and if you have any recommendations for the plug as well, I'm all ears! I just used a neutrik plug for my cable because it was the first one that popped up in the the search window lol

Just checked out the DIY cable gallery and WOW, those cables look amazing! If anyone could tell me where to get those teflon sleeves and heat shrink, that would be nice as well^^

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 42
Hm, done some research and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Canare Star Quad or the Canare mini Star Quad...If the only difference that the mini is slimmer and doesn't have the rubber housing? I'm planning to use Neutrik plugs again as well (since they are cheap and seem to work ok), but would the Canare Star Quad fit in the plug? They seem to be pretty thick....

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 42
But does the Neutrik 3.5mm plug and the Canare L-4E6S fit together? Would you recommend the 4E6S or the 4E5C if I were just making interconnect cables? (not recabling anything, just want to practice soldering and make some cables in the process)

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 42
The L-4E6S is 6mm thick and the L-4E5C is 4.8mm thick.
The NYS231BG connector has a 4.7mm hole.

You can use the L-4E6S wire but the hole will have to be
drilled out to 6mm.

7mm is the maximum size you can use with that connector.

I would stick to the L-4E5C / NYS231BG combination unless
you have a reason to do otherwise.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 42
I see...so the 4E5C fits the NYS231BG even though it's .1mm thicker? (sorry, just making sure lol)

I'm assuming that the 4E5C is thinner because it does not have that outer shielding. (like my Mogami W2799 came in a gray plastic tubing)
Do you recommend using techflex or nylon to cover the cable? It looks like the techflex is just strands of string, but does that actual protect the cable? o.o

Sorry for all these questions, I literally started all this DIY stuff yesterday xD

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 42
Nylon braid is softer.  The other stuff is stiffer.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 42
Yes, it fits. The outer jacket on the L-4E5C is just spongy enough for it to fit snugly in the smaller hole.

You can use different kinds of covering to "dress up" your cable or give them a special look.
Use your imagination. Check out the DIY cable gallery for inspiration.

Check out Markertek in the US and Take Five Audio in Canada for connectors, wire, heat shrink and
cable covering.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 42
Oh, I expected the nylon to be stiffer since it seems to be thicker, compared to the thin "coat" the techflex gives
Yea, I ordered from Markertek to get my cables and plugs for my recable
I read that the 1/8" techflex fits the 4E6S Star Quad, but which one fits the 4E5C?

Oh, and do you personally think the 4E5C looks "ugly" without any techflex or nylon? I've only seen bare 4E6S, and no bare 4E5C, especially since you can not choose the color for the 4E5C

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 42
haha don't know why I didn't do this in the beginning, but I'm guessing it's safe to say that since the 1/8" (3.175mm) techflex fits the thicker 4E6S then it will also fit the 4E5C?

And man, looked through like 50 pages of the DIY cable thread, and it's amazing how one "coat" of techflex can make the bland mono-color canare cable look so awesome^^
Most likely going to get techflex with the cables, even if it is only for looks and doesn't do anything in particular lol

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 42
Oct 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
Havve you checked out furryletters' store on ebay?

Yep, it was in the resources thread so I checked it out, but it seems that he doesn't have any of the black/beige or "spyder" (black with red strip) in his inventory

I also read that this techflex can also shrink..would you recommend the 1/8" techflex or 1/4" techflex for the Canare 4E5C? Don't really want to use the 4E6S because it seems that the neutriks will not fit unless drilled (I can't do that lol), and all the other plugs like switchcraft are like 4x the price
confused_face.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 42
You can stretch out the monofilament sleeving to "shrink" it.

Switchcraft's 35HD plugs are my favorites!  Well worth the money, in my opinion.
I like these as well.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 42
oh, so itd be better just to get the 1/4" techflex since there seems to be more color options with the 1/4"
Can't seem to find the techflex in post #1126 even on wirecare! It has the black/beige pattern but with black and red..looks dam sexy xD

Yea, the Switchcraft plugs look much better than the neutriks, but making 2 3.5 to 3.5 interconnects using Switchcraft would cost $16 for the plugs versus the $4 using neutrik =/
Do you use Switchcraft for 1/4" plugs as well?

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 42
I've used the Neutrik NP3XB and DHC custom plug for 1/4".  I haven't seen anyone use the Switchcraft 1/4" plugs, not even praise them.  Plus, I prefer gold-plated connectors and none of the Switchcraft 1/4" plugs are gold-plated.  Lastly, the coolest 1/4" plug is the Furutech FP-704, but its too expensive and heavy.  DHC's plug falls between the Neutrik and Furutech in quality, very good midway point there, so I generally stick with that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back