Newbie connection question
May 19, 2004 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
There are just so much information here to digest! I am still trying to figure out which amp I should buy!
confused.gif
(Right now I am leaning towards either a PPA or a Rudistor RP-4.) With a baby coming in 2 months, I am trying to add a headphone to my system.

I have both analog fronts (turntable + tape deck) and digital front (CD Transport + DAC) into my preamp. Where do I connect the headphone amp to? Do I connect to one of the outputs on the preamp? Or would it be better to unplug the tape deck that I don't use too often, and connect the headphone amp to the tape out on the preamp?

Any suggestion on the headphone amp welcome. I currently have a Senn HD600 + Cardas headphone cable and a Clou Japis cable. Especially all the options available to the PPA. Don't get too technical, it will just confuse me more!

May 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not familiar with either the PPA or the Rudistor amps. However, I found the Senns to SING with the Cary 300SEI integrated amp. At around $3k on the used market, it's a bit on the expensive side. However, I found that Cary SLP-88 can hold its own as a headphone amp and it's an excellent pre-amp. It can be had for around $1100 if you want to go that route.

Else, connect the sources either directly to the headphone amp or use the tape out on your pre-amp to connect the headphone amp. If you have a tape monitor, you can use that as well.

May 19, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
I have both analog fronts (turntable + tape deck) and digital front (CD Transport + DAC) into my preamp. Where do I connect the headphone amp to? Do I connect to one of the outputs on the preamp? Or would it be better to unplug the tape deck that I don't use too often, and connect the headphone amp to the tape out on the preamp?

Do NOT use the preamp outs to connect the headamp to. Use the tape out, or similar line out type connection. What preamp do you have? Hopefully it has two tape outs so you don't have to give one up

Quote:

Any suggestion on the headphone amp welcome. I currently have a Senn HD600 + Cardas headphone cable and a Clou Japis cable. Especially all the options available to the PPA. Don't get too technical, it will just confuse me more!

Alternatively, since both the amps you are considering are semi custom, you could ask the builder to add a loop out connection to the amp. Then, if you only have the one tape out on your pre, you could insert the headamp into that path: Preamp Tape Out --> Headamp In/Headamp Out --> Tape In

Any of the usual suspect PPA builders should be able to do this, and Rudi Stor should certainly be amenable to doing it on an RP4.

Of the two amps you are considering, both excel with HD600/Cardas. The PPA is clean, pure, detailed, but with plenty of power to drive the Senns. The RP4 is even more powerful with a hint of tube warmth, but no loss of detail at low or high end. My personal choice would be the RP4, but that doesn't make it better.

Good luck, and welcome to Head-Fi (sorry about your wallet)
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
What preamp do you have?

Currently using ARC LS-2B MkII, will most likely upgrade to ARC Ref 1 or Ref 2 very soon.

Quote:

Of the two amps you are considering, both excel with HD600/Cardas. The PPA is clean, pure, detailed, but with plenty of power to drive the Senns. The RP4 is even more powerful with a hint of tube warmth, but no loss of detail at low or high end. My personal choice would be the RP4, but that doesn't make it better.

I prefer the tube sound as well, but looking at how my listening habit will be with a baby in the house, I think PPA might be more practical and 'baby friendly'. I assume RP4 would require some warm-up time before listening?

Quote:

sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Compare to what I've spent upgrading my regular rig (for the past 12 years), this is penuts!
lambda.gif
I just hope I don't go overboard......

"I work to support my Audio Addiction!"

May 20, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91

... I just hope I don't go overboard......

"I work to support my Audio Addiction!"

Muahahahahahahha Muahahahahahahahha Muahahahahahah <evil Muahahahhahah> You hope you won't go overboard??? Muahahahahahhaaha
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back