Newbie computer audio questions
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Phishin Phool

500+ Head-Fier
So I am about to do a massive overhaul to my current pc which may change the audio situation somewhat.
Currently I run a Phenom II and old AM2+ mobo with ddr2 ram.

Anyhow I had been running a gtx 580 gpu and using the HDMI audio out to feed my AVR. From there I can either a) listen to it on my speakers (runnning 7.2 home theater)  b) Plug my headphones into my AVR 
frown.gif

c) run an analog line out from my AVR to my headphone tube amp. d) plug my headphone into the front of my computer case to a headphone jack  (that header is burnt out atm so a no-go but not desirable anyway.

several things are happening 
1) I am getting an external dac (accepts optical , coax, & usb) w/ preouts and a ss hp amp

2) I have just replaced the gtx580 with a gtx970 (which has bit-streaming as the 580 only had mutlichannel pcm capability)

3) I am replacing the  cpu, ram and mobo with the following
Gigabyte z87x-UD5h mobo
8gb ddr3
Core i5 4690k cpu

The motherboard has all sorts of options that I haven't had to deal with before - 1st off it has optical out
Second is this:
GIGABYTE 8 Series motherboards feature a high capacity headphone amplifier which is able to drive 600Ω loads, allowing gamers to enjoy a fuller range of dynamic sound with crisper details and less distortion when using high quality professional headphones. Featuring a wide bandwidth, low noise, high slew rate and low distortion, GIGABYE 8 series motherboards are ideal for professional audio usage and gaming enthusiasts.

and this
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software suite
• Audio platform equipped with cutting-edge audio technology.
• Offering premium audio quality, effects and features for ordinary PC systems.
• Gaming sound enhancement technologies for Gamer.

Do I even want to concern myself with any of this??? Should I just continue to use my GPU hdmi
to feed my audio to my avr and use USB once my DAC arrives If I want external conversion. If my usb
signal is 'too noisy' will using the gpu audio system disable the optical toslink out on the mobo as I could
feed my dac with that?

Many thanks - jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back