Newbie: CMoy vs Meta42/PIMETA
Nov 30, 2003 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Severum

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I have lurked for about a year or so around here. Being pretty demanding about my sound and a recent increase of travel, I decided I needed a good sounding portable rig. I wanted something comparable to my old Vandersteen 1B's, B&K ST140, B&K PTIII preamp, and NAD 541i cdp.

I purchased a 40GB ipod and some Sennheiser 580's. Since the stock earbuds with the ipod felt as though I had broomsticks sticking in my ears, I immediately switched to the Sennheisers. Immediately, I realized that the ipod could not drive these high imedance headphones. I went out to a local GC and purchased some Shure E2c's.

Wow, the E2's were much much better. Nice warm sounding, but lacked some low end as well as some prnounced highs.

Hrmmm.....how about a DIY amp? Read up on Tangent's site and build a cMOY per his instructions in a serpac case.

My ipod now sounds outstanding!!! The bass is now present that was so lacking. There is also a slight increase in the highs.

Now that I have given you some background, comes my question. What more will a PIMETA design on Tangent's website give me over my cmoy and Shure e2's? Is it worth it? What is the cost with quality components?

Anybody wanna buy some 6 day old sennheiser 580's for $140.00?

Tyson

Nov 30, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 3
If you have the tools and talent, the PIMETA can be built for a pretty reasonable price ($75-$100), more or less. In fact, almost everything can be ordered from DigiKey and Tangent to save on shipping costs.

The only problem is the casing. It really shines on two (2) 9V batteries, and changing them can be a pain with a single 9V slot case.

Dec 1, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Hrrmmmm...perhaps I should go for a MINT since I am looking for portability. From some initial searches, it looks as though the MINT(META42 based) beats the cmoy hands down.

Tyson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back