Newbie Classical Listener - Help!
May 10, 2003 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MagicBoy14

New Head-Fier
Hiya, I'm a really musically limited person, and I wanted to expand my musical horizons into classical music. So, I go about it by purchasing 1-2 classical CDs a week. But, I didn't know with what classical CDs to start. Could someone reccomend maybe 5-10 essential classical CDs to own? Thanks a lot. =)

May 10, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 9
I would strongly recommend some of the budget price EMI reissues, the sound on the ones I picked up recently are quite good, and they put a mix of music on each disc.

You need to spend some time discovering what styles and composers tickle your fancy. I was turned off classical for the longest time until I listened to more scandanavian and russian composers.

As for specific recommendations, works that opened me up to symponies:
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade
Sibelius - Violin Concerton in D Minor
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique

As for chamber music, I like all of Schubert's string quartets, the ones on DG or Decca are really splendid.

You should go on Towerrecords.com and hear the samples to figure out what sounds interesting.

Happy listening.

May 10, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Another suggestion is to find your local Classical FM radio station and make a list if the pieces you like. Most stations play a wide variety of music and is a lot cheaper than buying CD's that you may not like.

May 11, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 9
As for which works you may like, "classical" seeming to be the one form, in which there's much legal stuff out there on the web (download and for dailups streaming).

See this and this as examples.

As for which versions you should buy, The Penguin Guide to Compact Discs, would be the best $20 spent starting out. Great book.

Been listening to Glenn Gould's A State of Wonder: The Complete Goldberg Variations (1955 & 1981), lately. A collection of Chopin's Noctures, should be a part of every collection.

May 11, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 9
I love Vivaldi, personally, but lemme see if I can list some variety..

1. Yo-Yo Ma's "Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites" Is one of the most beautiful, simple solo performances I've ever heard. You can hear him breathing with the music. Simply incredible

2. Vivaldi's Four season's. I have the EMI version for that. It's good.

3. Although, while not technically classical, Chant is a really nice cd. I bought Chant 2 and i'll be damned if i can't hear an audience rustling around and basically ruining the ambience of the performance.

A good source for musical research is the Allmusic Guide:

http://www.allclassical.com/newcomers.html

Good luck and happy listening!

-J

May 11, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 9
Checked out everything you guys said and ordered some stuff. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back