Newbie CD Player Vs, DAC Transport ?'s
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

audiosoul

New Head-Fier
I am putting together a headphone only system. I've got AKG 240 cans and a Shandling PH100 hp amp. I know budget components, but hey a guy has to start somewhere. So, my question, would I really gain anything by getting a seperate dac and transport?. I will only be playing CD's. It seems the newer CD players have good dacs in them. The cost of dac/transport would be much higher than a cd player. Thanks for any replies, David...
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Rip your CD's to FLAC using EAC and use your computer as the transport with foobar2000. If you do it correctly, a PC can perform on par with the best and most expensive CD players.

If you're really on a budget, find an M-Audio or E-Mu Sound Card on e-bay as your DAC. Just avoid Creative X-Fi, or 'gaming' cards, and you're good. If you go with an outboard DAC, a ZERO, or a Zhaolu will work just fine.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
computer as a CDPer? Not my bag man... I like expensive dacs and 50lb DVD/CD players which make excellent transports for little coin.

Do you know of any decent CD transports that go for around ~$100? I'm getting tired of the flimsy little DVD player I'm using now.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any decent CD transports that go for around ~$100? I'm getting tired of the flimsy little DVD player I'm using now.

PS2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back