Newbie Budget Headphone Rig
Aug 8, 2006 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rock\

Head-Fier
Hello all! This is my first post to this fine forum. I'm looking to get introduced to the fine world of headphone music listening, and have some concerns.

I plan on setting this small setup on top of my SVS sub next to my sofa in the family room. Currently, I have a pair of Optimus Pro35's, which are rebadged Koss KTX-pros'. I am currently shopping the pawn shops for a dvd player with a headphone jack, and I think I may have found one, a panasonic player that I may be able to get for ~$20. This will be the beginning of my headphone rig.

I plan on upgrading pretty soon, and I have a couple of options. My budget is less than $100. I like a neutral speaker sound, so I will also enjoy a neutral headphone. I don't want a pair of cans with a tipped high end, so the Grado SR60's are out. I also wear glasses, so I need something comfortable. I also need a can that is at least semi-closed, because my listening will be in the family room while my wife is watching Oprah and Dr. Phil. :)

I am considering:

AKG K240s $99
AKG K81DJ $70
Sony MDR-V7506 $99
Sony MDR-V6 $70

Which will be easier to drive from the headphone jack of a standalone DVD player?

Which is more comfortable?

Is the K240s worth $30 more than the K81DJ?

I have heard that the K81DJ is very bass heavy, which I do not want, is this true?

I read on here that the Sony MDR-V6 is the same as the MDR7506, but someone who has listened to both says they aren't the same can... What are your thoughts.

Also, are there any other cans I should be looking into?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 16
The 7506 and V6 are identical. In my experience, Sony headphones are bright, so you might not like that.

The K240S is open, and the K81DJ might be considered excessively bassy for some people. How about Audio Technica's A500?

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm going to put my vote down for the Sony MDR-D66 eggos. Semi-closed, comfortable, and exceedingly easy to drive with nice, clear mids and highs. Much more neutral (not to mention comfortable) than the bass-prominent K81DJs (which are, nonetheless, quite a sonic bargain). Some will peg the D66 bass as being a bit thin, but it's definitely there and can be gently heightened with a simple external mod (piercing the thin plastic membrane beneath the silver caps). Audiocubes sells them for $89 + shipping.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The K240S is open, and the K81DJ might be considered excessively bassy for some people. How about Audio Technica's A500?

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

What do you mean by the K240s is open?

Why do so many people like the k81dj if it is so bassy?

Thanks

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\

What do you mean by the K240s is open?

Thanks

Open:

Open headphones have an open grille on the back of the driver, exposing the driver to the outside, and allowing the soundwaves to propagate away from the ear freely. This backing type does not isolate the listener from outside sounds; in addition, sound through open headphones can be easily heard by others in the vicinity of the user. They, however, usually have a more expansive soundstage and more tightly controlled sound.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\

Why do so many people like the k81dj if it is so bassy?

Lots of bassheads round these parts I reckon
tongue.gif

basshead.gif

It's good to see you here...now get some cans and start enjoying
eggosmile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Seconded with AKG K81DJ

I heard it and it does not bassy as others said, for me. You will enjoy this nice AKG pair.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Lots of bassheads round these parts I reckon
tongue.gif

basshead.gif

It's good to see you here...now get some cans and start enjoying
eggosmile.gif

Thanks Dane.

Those ATH-M30's don't look half bad for $50 on amazon. And they have gotten good reviews. But the K81Dj's look really cool.

My father in law is in the music industry (bass guitar player), so I called him to see if he could get me a hookup anywhere. You know me, one cheap B@stard.
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Is there a huge difference between the Audio Technica M30 and M40?

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 16
I wanted to post an update my headphone journey...

I have been listening to my Optimus Pro-35's for a couple of weeks now, and for the $20 I paid for them I love them.

But...yesterday, while perusing ebay, I won an auction for a pair of gently used Audio Technica ATH-M40df's for $22.50 ($28.50 w/shipping). I'm very exited to step up to this mid-level budget can. I will post my impressions as soon as I can.

My local Hifi deals sells Grado headphones, so I think sometime around Christmas, I may go and try those out to see what everyone is talking about.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 16
Be sure to get an SR60. It's still one of my favorite headphones.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 16
I forgot to mention that I am using the headphone jack of a Sony DVP-S560D as my source and amplification. I know I need to invest in an amp in the future, but the funds just aren't there right now.

But for now, I'm pretty satisfied with this player so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back