Newbie Bitrate Question
May 3, 2021 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Crowbar44

100+ Head-Fier
So...

I'm using a Schiit Asgard 3 MB with Windows 10 and Amazon HD

In the Windows sound settings, what should I set the bitrate to for Amazon HD?

I know that Amazon Ultra HD files stream at 24 bits, with sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.

So should I just leave the bitrate at 24 bit/192 kHz? Or do I need to change the bitrate for each track? (i.e. Amazon HD streams at 16/44.1, and an average bitrate of 850 kbps - do I need to set at the lower bitrate for these files?

If that's the case, it will be a colossal PITA and I'm going back to CD's :)

Many thanks in advance for the replies.

-GC

May 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I haven't used Windows in a loooonnnggg time so don't take this as gospel, but I believe that setting acts as an upper limit if lower bitrate content is played? IOW, I don't think it's upsampling to 24/192 if you're playing a 16/44.1 file. Having said that... I think the simplest way to deal with it is to allow apps to take exclusive control, and then have Amazon HD enter exclusive mode, and basically not worry about it? :relaxed:

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14070322011

Does Amazon Music support exclusive mode?​

Yes, exclusive mode is available in the Amazon Music app for Windows and Mac. To enable exclusive mode, click the Devices icon on the player and check the Exclusive Mode option.

What is exclusive mode?​

When exclusive mode is enabled, the Amazon Music app will block sounds from other applications while music is playing. This provides a number of sound quality benefits, notably that it allows the Amazon Music app to play music in the highest possible quality supported by your playback device. It also reduces the likelihood of playback errors that can occur when multiple applications are playing audio at the same time. It is important to note that other applications will not be able to play audio when a song is playing while exclusive mode is enabled.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 5
IME usually i set it to the highest my DAC can support. When setting to lower bit and depth rates (even when exclusive mode is set), some ordinary windows players will only play at that max settings set. Say you set settings only at 24/96, 24/192 files will be played at 24/96 even your DAC could support higher. This holds true to Groove, WMP, Media Player Classic, VLC.

This is NOT the case however with JRiver (my only other player). It will play at file's original bit/depth rate (depending of course of your JRiver settings and DAC capability). I don't have or using Amazon Music however. So I don't know how it behaves. Just a looong time Windows user (since Win 3.0).

Be sure to turn on the exclusive mode on the Properties -> Advanced tab for your audio device.

1620081076377.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 5
If you are using a player that plays through the Windows audio system, all sound will be upsampled or downsampled to the frequency set in the Sound control panel.

To get the desired bit-perfect bahaviour, you need to use an ASIO driver which bypasses Windows. You therefore need a Player that supports ASIO and also supports Amazon HD.

I don't use Amazon HD so I don't know which Players support it.

May 4, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 5
So Amazon HD has "Exclusive Mode" and I use it....it sounds like when that's used, I don't need to worry about what the bitrate is set at in Windows...

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back