Newbie, assistance required! Portable amps
May 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Endreall

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm rather new to this forum so bear with me if I said anything wrong. :)

I just bought a HE-400 and was wondering if portable amp is really needed; currently using Westone IEM W4 and Audio Technica Noise cancelling ATH-ANC9.

As the headphone is new, it is not fully burned-in yet hence I think what I am hearing now might not be the final result I will be getting (it is stated to let it run for 150 hrs before the full potential of the headphone can be realized); I may be wrong though!

I have a RSA predator with about 500+ hours in but when I run it through this setup:

HTC one > USB Line Out > Predator DAC/AMP > HE-400

I can't to get the volume to the max. Of course there isn't really a need to do so as with the gain set at "mid" and the volume gain at 3/4 of the way, it is sufficiently loud. But if I go more than that, maybe to 80 - 85%, the sound get distorted quite badly. Is it because the predator does not have enough juice for it?

I tried using my Denon A/V receiver (supposedly to be quite good, cost me a grand or two), the volume isn't a problem and there isn't any distortion.

I just want to ask, do you guys think Fiio E17 will be better than RSA predator? Does the burn-in makes a difference here? I understand that both the amp and the headphones are still far off being fully burned-in.

HE-400 has quite a bright treble at the higher frequencies currently, it can a bit hurtful if I have it at a louder volume. Does the HE-400 mellow down a little after the burn in? W4 also have this issue but only at the really higher frequencies and it isn't really that bad compared to the HEs.

Please advise.

May 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 3
No Love for new joiners...
confused.gif
 HE-400 or HD650. With or with headphone Amp given that I have a Denon A/V reciever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back