Newbie amp questions.
Mar 31, 2003 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DLoken

Head-Fier
After owning a pair of Grado SR-80s for several years, i've now decided that i'd like an amp.

Many people have recommended to me the META42, I know virtually nothing about the technical details of headphone amps or about who talk to about having one built.

I am planning on possibly upgrading to a pair of SR-225s, or SR-325s in the somewhat near future. I also listen to rock, metal, and use the headphones for playing games if this has any concequence on amp selection.

Another route I was considering was getting a Headroom Little.

I don't have a great deal of money, so I was looking to spend under 200, with 250 being the high upper limit for me.

Also, portability is not necessary, since the amp will be used in the same place 100% of the time.

Apr 1, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Do a search for Meta42 builders, there have been a couple of recent posts mentioning builders of the Meta42. Just ask each of the builders the what their version entails.

Good Luck!

Apr 1, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Yea. A Meta would be a good thing for you. The CHA47 is a cheaper option that also works great with Grados.

The user JMT built my CHA47, he also builds Metas. You can ask him what his schedule is like.

Apr 2, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 4
DLoken:

I just got a META42 from fyleow, a member of Head-Fi. He was very easy to deal with. I'm an amp newbie and he answered all my questions. He built the amp according to my budget and uses and it sounds great. He even built it so that if I upgrade my cans it will be able to drive them and he socketed the chips so if I ever get into DIY and want to experiment with upgrading the amp, I can do that, too. Try sending him a PM and feel him out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back