Newbie Amp Question
May 15, 2005 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arjunlall

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Senn HD 280s and really like them but find that while the bass has a great range it lacks the punch that I really enjoy. I have burned them in properly and have realized this may simply be the nature of the cans. I have used equalizers on my computer but find that it makes the sound a bit muddy and I also dont want to change the properties of my speakers when I dont use my headphones.

I have read some posts saying that the bass increased after using an amp. I mainly use my headphones with my computer and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card. I also occasionally use them with my ipod. My computer can definitely make my headphones louder then I would ever need, so my question is would getting an amp help? I dont really need it to get louder, is that all the amp will do? or will it make the bass stronger and make the sound better in general, ideally tighter and more precise with more impact?

If the amp will improve the sound are there any that you would suggest? I am trying to spend as little as possible (less than $100), since I am a student and I alredy shelled out $85 for my HD-280s, but may consider spending more if it would be a sound investment or make a dramatic difference. Are there any amps with a bass boost function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot of this may be in the forums already, but I would really appreciate any help specifically for my situation.

May 15, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi arjunlall

I have not heard HD280 but I not too sure about if it's bass shy. But an amp will not only improve the bass of the headphones, it can also improve the overall sound quality. IMHO, you can try to purchase a CMoy/MINT amp off the amp for sale forum, or eBay.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

May 15, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I dont really need it to get louder, is that all the amp will do? or will it make the bass stronger and make the sound better in general, ideally tighter and more precise with more impact?

The difference will be noticeable, but not night and day, and whether it will be worth the money depends on your preference.

Quote:

Are there any amps with a bass boost function?

Not at your price range (< $100). The closest one I found is the Xenos 3HA at $130. It has bass and treble variable controls. Not a lot of people with this amp, however, so I can't say how it sounds. It's also somewhat big for a portable. You can find this amp on ebay.

May 15, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I just got a pocket amp2 yesterday. Used for $45 off the FS forum. Without it the highs are piercing and very shout-ey from my SR40. Bass is practically non-existant relative to the highs. This is straight out of my creative MuVo.

With the pocket amp, bass is stunning. Low, resonant and very tight. Mids clean up noticeably too, smooth but yet still forward with that Grado accent.

That Xenos amp looks very attractive, if you dont mind is size. I like the bass / treble controls, and the fact that its designed for low impedence cans but yet has voltage capacity for high impedence cans makes it a good all-rounder... Never heard it myself though.

Garrett

May 15, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for all the help!

I am contemplating buying an amp but may try the blue-tac mod first. Reguardless of price which amp is better, the CMOY or the pocket amp 2? I like the styling of a lot of the CMOYs in the mint tin but really just want something that will have the best sound and most importantly add some punch to the bass.

May 16, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 9
I suspect in most situations using an amp will generally result in better sound quality. A reasonably priced amp like the Pocket Amp or Go-Vibe will do more than increase volume. The extremes at the high and low end are brought forward. An amp just provides more power to the sound than the unamplified source can generally provide.

As you are looking for more "punch" and a solution in the range of $100, the amps presented in this thread will meet your expectations.

May 16, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by arjunlall
Thanks for all the help!

I am contemplating buying an amp but may try the blue-tac mod first. Reguardless of price which amp is better, the CMOY or the pocket amp 2? I like the styling of a lot of the CMOYs in the mint tin but really just want something that will have the best sound and most importantly add some punch to the bass.

Either a CMOY or Pocket Amp will likely work out well for you, but as one who also considered a CMOY and bought a Pocket Amp, I think the Pocket Amp is a cut above, at least from a design standpoint. The amp in a mint tin is a clever idea, but was never designed to house an amp. The durability lags behind the Hammond enclosure of the Pocket Amp. The architecture of the Pocket Amp also departs from the CMOY, using a more highly integrated op-amp in the LM4881. How this compares with the CMOY I cannot say but it shows that the Pocket Amp is not simply another CMOY derivative. Add in the practicality of an amp that uses rechargeable AAs and has a builtin recharger you've got a product that is very portable, sonically impressive, and a good value.

May 16, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Reguardless of price which amp is better, the CMOY or the pocket amp 2?

I would avoid CMOYs because the quality can vary a lot depending on who's building the amp. The mint tins are cool to look at, but they dent very easily so if you put them in the bottom of a backpack, they may get crushed like a coke can. The Go-Vibe or the PA2V2 would be a good choice since people who own them generally have a very positive impression. I ordered the pa2v2 myself mostly because people reported that this amp has a warm and bassy sound. It's also more convenient than the go-vibe since it uses AA batteries instead of 9V, plus it recharges the internal battery, and the input jacks are both at the front of the amp whereas the vibe has one at the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back