Newbie Amp/Headphone/DAC Question
Mar 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

intricate28

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

First post here (and already tried to post but for some reason it didn't show up), and I want to say you guys are great. I have joined the fray of headphone lovers and currently am loving it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is my current setup:

Ipod (Flac/AAC Lossless)-->Headroom Micro Amp-->Senn HD650's!

I have owned a set of HD595's and took the logical step up to the 650's at the suggestion of a friend as they scale very well and are a great can to take the journey of upgraditis with. Yes my wallet now has Aggro.

So I ordered the Micro Amp about a week ago and have been using it to burn in my HD650's. They have about a hundred hours on them now and sound a hell of a lot better than they did out of the box.

But......

I feel like they arn't what they should be! After some extensive research I have read that the Gilmore Light is a good starting off point with the HD650's. This is mainly due to Baka's review of them. This review hit home because he referred to Pink Floyd on many of his points and I listen to Pink Floyd about 75% of the time! The rest of my listening ranges from Trance (Armin van Buuren), to Jazz (Diana Krall).

What should I do? Send the Micro back and get a Glite? Would getting a DAC to hook straight to my computer (I have over 1.6Terabytes of FLAC on my PC). What DAC ($400 budget if I spend the extra on a Glite). Is a DAC going to sound that much better then going straight from my Ipod running Lossless? Is the Glite really going to drive the HD650's with that much more authority? Do I do the foam mod? Help me Head-fi? Your my only hope!

Best Regards

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, eventually you'll want a better DAC eventually, and they're useful, works with speakers, headphones and all, so I wouldn't sweat that decision just yet. Decide on Micro VS Gilmore Lite first, I think.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 7
It's funny because I had to make the same decision as you back in 2006, but to me transportability was really important so I went with a Micro. Have you considered the Sheer Audio HA-006+, also a Dynalo?

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I have seen it and have heard that it is pretty good. The only thing is that its pretty much in the same price range as the Glite, and if the Glite is a lot better I would rather go with that. Don't need to transport it anywhere so that isn't a factor for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back