Newbie 1st thread
May 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ldamp

New Head-Fier
Hi my name is Laurie. Getting right to the point i'm hear because I have Misophonia. I need help in finding headphones and earbuds that will block out noise from around me. If any one can help I would appreciate it!

May 15, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Laurie,
I'm new here too and didn't want to start a thread. Not sure whether this is going to help, But try keywords "Active noise cancelling" (ANC) on forums. ANC is a technology that create a opposite waveforms to cancel out the sound coming from outside. You won't hear a thing with these on. these will serve you better than noise isolating (passive ear blocking) headsets.

May 15, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi my name is Laurie. Getting right to the point i'm hear because I have Misophonia. I need help in finding headphones and earbuds that will block out noise from around me. If any one can help I would appreciate it!
What sources or DAC/amps will you be plugging the headphones into?
Budget for headphones.
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello, Laurie. I'm Rose through my name here is Amanda2333. I'm new here, too. Now I am using a pair of very fantastic ANC headphones. I have never tried ANC headphones before. So I felt amazing the time when I put on the headphones. The world became quiet suddenly! I mean I never experienced this before. This pair of headphones were free to me( I have a way to get it for free). Or I would not try this kinda headphones. It's more expensive. Personally speaking, I think ANC headphones are better to my ears. Because when I press the ANC button, I can hear the sound very clearly without increasing volume. You can search "Active noise cancelling headphones" on line. The headphones I am trying now is about $ 79.99. And it works amazingly. You can search this price.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi Laurie,
I'm new here too and didn't want to start a thread. Not sure whether this is going to help, But try keywords "Active noise cancelling" (ANC) on forums. ANC is a technology that create a opposite waveforms to cancel out the sound coming from outside. You won't hear a thing with these on. these will serve you better than noise isolating (passive ear blocking) headsets.

This is not true. ANC is not particularly effective on erratic and high frequencies sound waves so depending on the OP background noise scenario, it might not work as well. A well sealed passive IEM is more likely to attenuate better than an ANC headphone.

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I realize this thread was started over a month ago by a one-time poster, but I'm putting this here in the hopes that it can help some other poor soul out there...

I've also suffered from misophonia for years. It can truly suck. There's nothing quite like feeling rage toward my wife because she's eating... Or breathing. Oof. I was once in the food court by my job and there was somebody slurping noodles and I seriously thought I was going to punch the guy in his face. The rage was strong!

Dulalala is right, depending on your triggers. ANC headphones do a good job of blocking constant noises of a certain frequency, but not sudden random noises. If droning noise is one of your triggers (makes me more anxious than rageful), they might work. But if your triggers are chewing, babies crying, snack bags rustling (one of the worst for me), other sounds that aren't constant, then ANC might not do much.
Simple foam earplugs or IEMs (In Ear Monitors-- earphones that you insert into your ears like earplugs) might work better for you. The problem with IEMs or earplugs is that eating with them in is a whole new exercise in repulsive noises. Not rage-inducing (for me), but gross. Really gross.

Good luck with figuring it all out. People that have never experienced misophonia just don't understand and often think you're just overreacting, or something... Which in itself is infuriating.
You could also try therapy for it (I think CBT is most common... Don't quote me on that). It is almost entirely psychological, so blocking the noise is really just putting a band-aid on it.
Don't give up hope! I actually think I've got mine beat! I've been on Saint John's Wort for the last few months and haven't experienced a single trigger since (well, maybe one or two, but compared to the daily or hourly triggers I had before it's nothing)! Woot woot! I'm hoping beyond hope that it doesn't come back and that I can one day stop with the SJW.

Good luck! I feel your pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back