Newbe Question
Jan 19, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to my Ipod/Itunes combo through a portable amp for quite awhile. Have been using a Thawk, and am now using a Pico. Love it. Never had used a USB/DAC. Tonight, after much wasted time and effort I was able to use the DAC of the pico and connect it to my Macbook Pro. Things are working great. The sound is tremendously improved over the SQ when listening out of the Ipod/Line Out.

I'm curious why there is such a pronounced difference. The dynamic range is much fuller, the sound stage is terrific, and it almost sounds like a veil has been lifted. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch, but why????? What's going on here?

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 3
When you are using the DAC section as compared to using your Ipod there is an up conversion going on. Ipod outputs music that was taken from 16 bit at 44.1 KHz. When you use the dac section the 16/44.1 enters the pico and the pico up samples the digital signal to 24/96 and in doing so makes the music sound much more smoother as well as other desirable qualities. It effectively fills in the gaps in the digital signal so the signal is denser and because of that its much smoother. Thats the best way I can explain it.

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you are using the DAC section as compared to using your Ipod there is an up conversion going on. Ipod outputs music that was taken from 16 bit at 44.1 KHz. When you use the dac section the 16/44.1 enters the pico and the pico up samples the digital signal to 24/96 and in doing so makes the music sound much more smoother as well as other desirable qualities. It effectively fills in the gaps in the digital signal so the signal is denser and because of that its much smoother. Thats the best way I can explain it.

Mr. Hardhead Case,

You da bomb! Thanks for that info. I guess I don't have to understand why, I just have to have an eargasim! Appreciate the feedback.

leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back