Newb trying to get a good 2.0 setup going, advice is greatly welcomed
Oct 5, 2009 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CrownJ

New Head-Fier
To start off I've only been playing around with headphones so far. However lately I've been wanting to get a good bookshelf setup to replace my z5300s which are too bassy for my liking and vocals are not brought forth enough and since the sub unit is placed behind my tv stand the bass isn't coming at me as full and rich as I would like it to be. I dont know how to describe my tastes in sound but I own a pair of HD-595s and a Westone 3 and drive them from my dad's marantz reciever and my own cowon s9. Currently I have my eye on this pair of book shelf speakers:

Amazon.com: Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers with 8" Woofer (Pair): Electronics

now as for a reciever/amp I dont know what to get, is getting a 7.1 reciever overkill for a bookshelf 2.0 setup I have absolutely no clue on what other recievers there are besides the typical 5.1 7.1 ones you see in the newspaper

Your advice is greatly appreciated thank you

Also if you know any good 2.0 speaker setups please post them, I've also got my eye on the Audioengine A5s but am told that a bookshelf setup is a lot better

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 13
let people know your budget and you'll find more help

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 13
indeed - a budget helps a lot

buying a receiver really depends on several factors. do you need the video switching and/or processing? do you ever plan on going surround? if not, a stereo integrated amplifier would be a smarter move

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 13
As far as a receiver... if you just need a stereo one and want to spend around $100, I got the HK 3390 for $140 shipped off of eBay. Harman/Kardon sells their receiver refurbs there and they sell for about half what a new one costs, and they come with full warranty.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the replies so far guys.
As far as budget goes it really isn't too much of a factor but it sure is good when you can get a cheap setup and have it rival something pricier with the same performance. How I intend to use the speakers is purely for music, I'll be hooking it up to my MBP and pretty much that is it so I don't really see a need for something as fancy as a 5.1 reciever or anything, since it'll only be powering two speakers in its lifetime.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 13
I was in the exact same position as you, just a few weeks ago

Was looking at the Sony speakers too, but ended up getting these instead BiC America DV62si
Mainly cause the DV62si reviews seemed more reliable and the Sonys would look ridiculously large on my table
jecklinsmile.gif

As for an amp, i bought a used Parasound z-amp off eBay for about $120 shipped
You can get the DV62s slightly cheaper from meijer.com if you go for that instead

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was looking at the Sony speakers too, but ended up getting these instead BiC America DV62si
Mainly cause the DV62si reviews seemed more reliable and the Sonys would look ridiculously large on my table
jecklinsmile.gif

You can get the DV62s slightly cheaper from meijer.com if you go for that instead

ahh those speakers look really good especially for the price i hate having to pick a side from two good looking brands of speakers. How would you say your setup is going especially the bass? I like clean bass tones that blends with the midrange and highs not the subwoofer in a box kind of thing in a car

thanks for your info
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

jecklinsmile.gif

So how do you like the BIC's? These bookshelf speakers has been getting rave reviews for ages and I was sort of surprised that they're still being made....and at such a good price.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 13
They're wonderful!
Detailed and just a little bright, but other than that pretty neutral sounding, clear and a little lean

Bass is clean and hits hard and low. My only complaint is that i would prefer more quantity.
This coming from a D2000 user and someone who listens to mainstream music mainly, so i'm used to lots of bass

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To start off I've only been playing around with headphones so far. However lately I've been wanting to get a good bookshelf setup to replace my z5300s which are too bassy for my liking and vocals are not brought forth enough and since the sub unit is placed behind my tv stand the bass isn't coming at me as full and rich as I would like it to be. I dont know how to describe my tastes in sound but I own a pair of HD-595s and a Westone 3 and drive them from my dad's marantz reciever and my own cowon s9. Currently I have my eye on this pair of book shelf speakers:

Amazon.com: Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers with 8" Woofer (Pair): Electronics

now as for a reciever/amp I dont know what to get, is getting a 7.1 reciever overkill for a bookshelf 2.0 setup I have absolutely no clue on what other recievers there are besides the typical 5.1 7.1 ones you see in the newspaper

Your advice is greatly appreciated thank you

Also if you know any good 2.0 speaker setups please post them, I've also got my eye on the Audioengine A5s but am told that a bookshelf setup is a lot better

Paradigm Atoms paired with pretty much any amp will be a sizeable upgrade to what you have at present.

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 13
Buy a pair of JohnBlue JB3's. These may be the best speaker value in existence. I have many more expensive speakers, but head for these little wonders almost every time. The best sound I have ever heard in a near field application at modest volume levels. Could be the ultimate desktop computer speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back