Newb to anime
Feb 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowboy bebop, amazing. Must watch.
FLCL. Same.
Nobody mentioned FMA yet. I personally think it's a very quality show.
Ghost in the Shell (original movie) is a classic.
Jin-Ro
Miyazaki movies

Full Metal Alchemist is a pretty cool show, I agree. That was probably the anime that kept my attention the best, although not necessarily because it was the best. It's just that dubbing is so much easier on me than subbing.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli/their major directors is great.

They are the best. I don't really 'get' most other anime, aside form Serial Experiments Lain, which is just brilliantly confusing and weird. But studio Ghibli movies are amazing magical fairytales I bet everyone would like. Love all of them
normal_smile .gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Nobody mentioned FMA yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No mention of Samurai Champloo? Directed by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop. I personally thought it was a great show.

x2

(for people that don't know, FMA stands for fullmetal alchemist)

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 44
My suggestions

Death Note (not long, but AMAZING)
Full Metal Alchemist (same as above)
Bleach

Oh, and I'd recommend you DO watch SUBS. The Japanese Voice Acting is WAY better than the SUBS (in my experience) (and easier to find)

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #35 of 44
For all of those recommending FMA, you do know that a new series is coming out this spring and its gonna follow the manga properly this time right?

Btw, if you haven't, read FMA. And try to forget everything that happened in the show.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all of those recommending FMA, you do know that a new series is coming out this spring and its gonna follow the manga properly this time right?

Btw, if you haven't, read FMA. And try to forget everything that happened in the show.

Seriously?

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 44
I liked the show a lot. I doesn't bother me if the manga diverged. I don't labor under any opinion that the manga is the 'true' version. It's a fine show and I wish people would stop saying 'but the manga is better'.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

I liked the show a lot. I doesn't bother me if the manga diverged. I don't labor under any opinion that the manga is the 'true' version. It's a fine show and I wish people would stop saying 'but the manga is better'.

But the manga is better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(not that I've actually any experience with either the anime or manga for it)

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowboy Bebop is the definitive gateway anime. Works everytime!

I have to to say that I love Cowboy Bebop

Hmmm if you like Chick anime try Chobits (I am not ashamed to say I loved Chobits... then why am I putting in parentheses?)

AKIRA!!!!!!!!!!

Samuri X/kenshin

Lots of others but they have all been listed already... ill keep thinking

almost forgot one of my favorites Hellsing

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #42 of 44
Hmm. may have to watch FMA again then, just to get another story based on the same amazing characters!

BTW, I seriously recommend Death Note and Bleach.

The psycho stuff in Death Note is where you CANNOT go wrong. The characters are just too amazing.

The action and storyline (main not filler) is also top-notch and will keep you coming back each week!

Naruto used to be good, but the extreme amount of fillers and then slow delivery of episodes which overlapped so bad that 2 episodes made one effectively ruined the series!

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Gankutsuou is a very good anime.

Highly Recommended Movies
-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke
-Byousoku 5 Centimeter
-Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)

Also, forgot to agree with your recommendation of Byousoku 5 Centimeter... assuming that's 5 Centimeters Per Second. The animation is STUNNING. It's very romantic and touching as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #44 of 44
Still one of the most stunning anime pieces I've ever seen is a 25 minute single OVA called Hoshi no Koe or The Voices of a Distant Star. Get the original version with the author and his wife doing all the voices. It is amazingly touching since it captures their very real emotions.

If you watch anime at all this has to be one you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back