newb portable amp question(s)
Apr 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nkk

500+ Head-Fier
What is a portable amp? What does it do? I have learned that it increases amps out so that it can drive headphones with more resistance, but that leads to my next questions--what else does it do, and why does the resistance of the headphones change? What is the benefit ov say a 10 ohm resistance over a 30 ohm. I get that power goes up with resistance assuming constant current, but does this translate to just a higher volume, or is there actuall more bass given or better sound quality by a portable amp?

I am looking at getting a fiio e5. What will it do?

I am sorry for these very basic questions, but I did not find a faq, and I am a newb, so...

THanks,
Nkk

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a portable amp? What does it do? I have learned that it increases amps out so that it can drive headphones with more resistance, but that leads to my next questions--what else does it do, and why does the resistance of the headphones change? What is the benefit ov say a 10 ohm resistance over a 30 ohm. I get that power goes up with resistance assuming constant current, but does this translate to just a higher volume, or is there actuall more bass given or better sound quality by a portable amp?

I am sorry for these very basic questions, but I did not find a faq, and I am a newb, so...

THanks,
Nkk

Welllllll... I'll do a couple posts...
1) a) What is an amp? A portable amp, or any amp in general, amplifies the signal in order to power low sensitivity and/or high impedance headphones. Rule of thumb, if your headphones are more than 50 bucks, you'll want at least a portable amp (gary's PA2V2, Fiio series...).
b)What does an amp do? An amp also has the bonus effect of 'clarifying' the sound. The lower voltage and current of an unamped setup can lead to a muddy response and lack of detail.
c) Why do I need an amp? Simply, to get the best possible SQ out of your setup. Remember, your rig is only as good as it's weakest link (source>dac>amp>cans, if you're not including cables lol) , so if you're going around unamped, it's a detriment to your system.
d)Portable v. non-portable? The primary difference is that portable is a battery, and non portable requires a fixed power source, ie. wall outlet. A full size amp will undoubtedly be of higher quality components, and have more specialized parts. Your average PORTABLE amp will have a set of capacitors, maybe a small DAC, and not too much else. They usually serve merely to raise the volume.
Notes: Keep in mind, an amp is actually an external amplifier, your ipod or cd player, or whatever source already has a small amplifier for your headphones. However, it is undoubtedly cheap and underpowered, so most headphones will require an external amp to reach their full potential.

**A dedicated headphone amp will have the greatest impact on your system's sound (excluding cans) IMO**

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THanks,
Nkk

Part II- Headphones
2) a) What is the difference between headphones with different impedances? I wouldn't be able to tell you the real technical build differences, but I always have thought that bigger drivers equals higher impedance. Now, impedance is not straight up resistance (it also takes into account the load), but you can use them almost interchangeably.
b) What is the SQ difference between the above? Nothing. There is no real difference in audio quality between high impedance and low impedance cans. That is to say, the impedance has no direct effect on SQ. We can all agree that High-end full size cans are better than IEMs, but that is a correlation to driver size and complexity, not to the pure impedance.
c) Is there a benefit between Impedances? Not really. Both of the ones that you mentioned (10ohm and 30ohm) are quite low, the Sennheiser HD650 is 300ohm, and it can go waaaayyy up. However, when considering an amp, you also need to take into account sensitivity.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 6
k, done! So, what kind of cans are you getting/have? What other amps have you looked at? Do you like Bass? Do you want bass boost, or do you want as much transparency as you can buy?

Sorry, do you know what a DAC is? Digital to Analogue Converter.
Post Back Please!

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k, done! So, what kind of cans are you getting/have? What other amps have you looked at? Do you like Bass? Do you want bass boost, or do you want as much transparency as you can buy?

Sorry, do you know what a DAC is? Digital to Analogue Converter.
Post Back Please!

Thanks for the help.

I have a set of sony earbuds. Not good (not bad, either), but small enough to be convenient for studying in the library. I also have a Sennheiser HD201, and just ordered an Audio Technica AD700. I also just ordered a NuForce Icon Portable, and am considered a Fiio E5, for the portability factor. I am also looking at a portable media player, as my iPod being stolen is what brought me here in the first place. I am looking at the Touch (from what i hear I would need a good externam amp with DAC, as SQ is average), the new sony that is coming out in may, and the Cowon S9 (if they can manage to make a 32GB version on a reasonable timeframe).

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Nkk

EDIT to say that I listen mainly to classical and jazz and opera and some classic rock (beatles, maybe even rush or the who), so although I have no need for huge bass, I do want a clear and strong bass presence, especially for the classical, where everything is much more nuanced. I can not say anything more than that, as I have not been at this long enough to really have developed too much of a preference.

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Congrats on the new purchases!

I don't really discriminate when it comes to portable sources. I've heard good things about the Cowon S9, and Cowons in general.

The nuforce should be all that you need. It's pretty portable.

It kind of sounds like you have/ordered most of the things you need for a pretty good rig. Have fun with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back