Newb needs some guidance please
May 10, 2005 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bamadawg

New Head-Fier
Hi all...

I have on the way, a lil ack! dAck! and am in need of a transport - so I thought "why not look at a PC-based solution".

Thing is, as much as I can build PCs - the "hi-fi PC" is all new to me.

I have on hand a lil Shuttle SN41G2 with a Athlon chip and 1GB of very nice memory. It has 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot available as well as on-board graphics. What do I need now to make this baby "sing" to my ack! dAck! ?

I dont want to go broke on setting it up - but I will invest a few $$ to have a nice "digital-transport". This is for a "fixed" set-up and the dAck! will feed into a vintage Scott amp and some vintage 2-way speakers in my listening room.

Also - since I will be running XP Pro on the puter - what do I use to stream the music to the dAck! ? I would like something kinda user-friendly, as I am more a hardware-guy than software-wizz. I have EAC installed on my current system for making dupes of my CDs.

Any and all guidance is greatly needed!

Cheers...
Nate

May 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamadawg
Hi all...

I have on the way, a lil ack! dAck!

...DAC...?

May 11, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Yes - it is a external DAC - I need suggestions on a good way to feed the DAC from ripped .wav files to the DAC. A soundcard, either PCI or USB/Firewire that has a digital coax output to feed the DAC.

May 11, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd suggest a Revolution 5.1 or Prodigy 7.1LT as a transport, these both have coaxial SPDIF outputs. (And if you wanted to be mean you could also compare their analog output quality to that of your DAC.) Software wise, there was an audio player thread here not too long ago. Personally I'm using Winamp 5 with the nice (3rd party) ASIO plugin. (The suggested cards both have native ASIO drivers so setup would be fairly easy. Just remember that the largest ASIO buffer size possible will be just fine for your purposes, as you do not need low latencies.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back