Newb needs a DAP
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

brick42

Head-Fier
Hi all long and short I'm an older dude who finally has given up on CDs.
That's fine and all but I've quickly come to learn that my samsung galaxy isn't going to cut it when I want to play music (mostly FLAC) in my car. Neither plugging in nor blutooth has the sound quality or amplification I'm looking for. I need to crank the volume completely on the galaxy and the quality of the sound is pretty bad.

So I thought there was a quick and easy solution out there only to learn that the masses have traded in their ipods for their phones and I guess either have better phones than I do or just don't care about good sound. Seems that a portable music player is going the way of audiophile more than anything?
Anyway I can't break the bank here but I want something that's going to bring me closer to CD quality that I'm used to.

From what I gather a Astell & Kern AK Jr is a decent option? Or perhaps one of the FiiOs would suffice?
Thanks much for your help! :)

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Check out the website anythingbutipod.
I do like FiiO products.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 13
Well...I'm the wrong person to reply to your request but I had the same itch.

That said, I just couldn't talk myself into carrying a DAP and a phone, or alternatively, to rubber band a portable amplifier to my existing phone. That led me to switch to the LG V10 a while ago...which more than satisfied my music quality needs for my 'DAP' as well as my needs for a phone in one easy-to-use device. I've since upgraded to the V20 and recently the V30.

The LG V series has an audiophile dac (ESS), powerful amplifier, and AptX HD. It is an excellent alternative unless feel the need to go high-end for your portable needs.

https://www.whathifi.com/lg/v30/review
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-audio-797447/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-v30/2

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Are you purchasing something solely for car use? The car head unit will be using its own amp which is going to bottleneck the hell out of whatever DAP you decide to buy. Also what kind of speakers do you have installed in the car?

I do really like FiiO products for this use, the X series are great players for the price.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes this will be for my car and general portability.
Totally stock stereo in the car - it's just fine when i'm playing CDs.
New phone isn't an option as it's company paid and I can't switch for awhile now
Thanks for the input thus far!

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 13
New phone isn't an option as it's company paid and I can't switch for awhile now
Does the stock car stereo come with an analog line-input (AUX input)?

A Xduoo X3 or FiiO X1, using it's line-output function, might feed a louder analog audio signal, to the car stereo.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 13
As recommended, the FiiO players have very good line outputs and should definitely be loud enough and match the quality of cd's!

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 13
yes i have your standard AUX input

So it seems the FiiO is just fine over the Astell & Kern huh?
encouraging stuff please keep it going!
Ultimately it's just a combo of sound quality + capacity (SD expansions is fine) + ability to play FLAC

can I get some specific model recs?
really appreciative folks thanks for the help in stepping into the digital realm :)

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 13
yes i have your standard AUX input

So it seems the FiiO is just fine over the Astell & Kern huh?
encouraging stuff please keep it going!
Ultimately it's just a combo of sound quality + capacity (SD expansions is fine) + ability to play FLAC

can I get some specific model recs?
really appreciative folks thanks for the help in stepping into the digital realm :)

A budget would help towards recommendations for a DAP?
Have you also thought about just upgrading the stock car stereo?

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 13
I'm going to recommend the Audio Opus #1 and Shanling M2s over the Fiio options :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 13
To answer the above I suppose I would like to stay around or under $300 if possible
thanks -
FiiO X3 Gen 2 sells for $135-$150, spend another $$30-$50 for micro-SD memory cards.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 13
ok so the X5 seems affordable enough but do i want 2nd gen or third??

what are the advantages between the two as the community perceives things?

and just curious - can thes remember where i left off listening to an album from yesterday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back