Newb looking for portable help
Oct 6, 2008 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

beep

New Head-Fier
Hey, on advice from the Member's Lounge, I'm just gonna ask for some help. I'm looking for some full-sized headphones good for portable use. Looking to spend about AUD$300-400. Right now I'm using an old discman and some cheap earbuds, I'm dying a little inside and looking for a serious upgrade. Looking at the Cowon A3.

I listen to rock music, If I had to list my favourite stuff I'd say Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, Kinks, Skyhooks, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, but I'm also into new stuff like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Mars Volta, Electric Six and always finding new stuff.

With the sound, I like bass, but definitely prefer definition over loud thumps and such. I wanna hear everything and like a warm sound. Are these conflicting? I'm not too smart to this stuff. Please help.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, I'd like to be isolated from the rest of the world when listening. Just me and the music.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 13
The only full-sized, closed headphone that might be good without an amp that I can think of is the Ultrasone Proline 750. You might want to read up on it as the sound signature isn't for everybody, but those who like it, really like it. I had the 2500s for awhile (similar but open) and thought they had many good qualities. I'm not a fan at all the the somewhat popular HFI 780s, and think the 750s are much better suited for music.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how portable those would be, and they're made of plastic? I've being reading up on the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, would these be a bad choice for my tastes? It might just be a combination of vanity and reviews that are leading me towards this choice, but then I've seen alot of good reviews for alot of different pieces.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 13
i'd say for fullsize with good SQ, the isolation is ranked:
hd25
HFI680/780
ESW9

most people put the cans in reverse order for SQ. what kind of environments will you be listening in? nothing can beat the isolation + SQ of IEMs if you are noisey environments.

hd25's are fine for like people talking or watching a little tv in your house. if you are out in public i'd highly recommend IEMs as opposed to cranking volume.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 13
With regard to the HD25:
They are available in your - the op's - price range.
The Sennheiser HD25-1 phones can be had for about US$200.
The less expensive HD25SP are about half that and not the phones generally praised on this list.
I have been using the HD25-1 mk2s. They are the same as the earlier version but come with an extra set of earpads:
velour pads which some may find a tad more comfortable than the original pleather pads.
The phones are over the ear as opposed to around the ear.
Which helps in their relatively good isolation.
But their tight headband which makes for a snug fit is a design which some may find uncomfortable.
But, for many, apparently, a good deal more comfortable than the superior isolating IEMs.
A narrow head - like mine - may be an asset for enjoying the fit of the HD-25-1s.
I have pre-ordered the about-to-come-out ATH ESW10. A limited edition and more expensive sibling to the ESW9.
And so I'm encouraged by DoomzDAyz' report that most people rate the ESW9 phones as having better SQ than my standby HD25-1s.
Although, in my experience of listening while walking the streets, isolation is a not unimportant factor.
Which is one reason why, at some point, I expect to experiment with the IEM route.
Anyone interested in the ATH- ESW10, may want to check out a current thread on them.
It contains some suggestions on how to get them at a (relatively) decent price.
But there is not much yet on how they compare to their less expensive sibling.
Harvey

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 13
I may have overstated the importance of isolation. It's not like I need DJ levels. I'd like to keep everything but the loudest sounds out and I definately don't wanna share my music with everyone else on the bus, but it's not really that big a deal. I'd think closed cans, any of the ones mentioned so far would do just fine, or not? Most of my listening would be when travelling and going outside for a cigarette. Should my smoking weigh into this? I hope it wouldn't damage the headphones.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 13
for public i meant public transportation (i suppose like a bus), city streets, cafe's, etc. closed portable phones would be stretching it but it is doable, i'd refer to save my ears and use IEMs.

you like a warm sound, so i would recommend esw9's, but their isolation is supposed to be significantly less than the HFI's.

here's what skylab had to say about them:

1. The HFI-780 isolate MUCH better than the ESW9
2. The ESW9 are MUCH smaller and lighter than the HFI-780, and as such, are likely to stay my main portable headphone
3. 780's have a somewhat forward, aggressive, "exciting" sound

The HD25's are more similar to 780's or moreso to grado's (small soundstage), in addition to being as small as the esw9's, more durable, and more isolation than both.

Apparently some prefered the SQ HD25's to ESW9's but I believe it is a sound signature preference. When the 780/680's came in, most people seemed to believe the 780/680's were in a league above HD25's.

To pick between them, now I would probably go with 680's/780's. When factoring in the prices of them new, i think it makes the choices a lot easier:

HD25's ~$200
ESW9's ~300
680's ~160
780's ~170

as for smoking, that will affect resale value.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 13
there is a small amount of adjustment in the sound with HD25-1 by switching between the pleather or the velour pads. the pleathers are more isolating (more bass) than the velours.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To pick between them, now I would probably go with 680's/780's. When factoring in the prices of them new, i think it makes the choices a lot easier:

HD25's ~$200
ESW9's ~300
680's ~160
780's ~170

Well, being in Australia, the only good place (by the looks of it) I've found to buy from is headphones.com.au and on there the difference between the 780s and the EWS9s is only $50, so thats not really enough to decide for me.

I've read the Sennheisers dull some finer points of music, is that true? I don't want that.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 13
If you are planning on traveling with them and want to keep out enough sound to make your music enjoyable I'll highly recommend the ultrasones as they have relatively good isolation. Have you considered getting an IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back