New Zigis Amplifier
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a Zigis portable amp out of curiosity after hearing and reading about it being a nice sounding CMoy.

It is a very cheap amp to buy and tbh I wasn't expecting a great deal and when I saw the inconspicuous black plastic box and a standard little battery compartment for a battery, I must admit, it made me think of the Pocket Amp.

At first, I put nothing special into it - just the Senn PX200 II and instantly, I felt that the sound was a tad better than what I was expecting.

I tested for hiss and noise on the volume control, tested the lower travel of the vol pot for poor tracking and it really wasn't at all bad. Noise is very low as well.

The amp's sound kind of got my interest in a big way so I started reading around and saw threads where people were plugging them in. It didn't occur to me to look for a DC socket since it wasn't advertised as being mains driven if you wanted.

First I tried a K601 with it (Just for a lark) and it sounded really good!! I was really surprised at the 'hear through' sound coming from this CMoy and the really well focused bass with no harshness up top either. Really smooth. In fact, I liked it with the K601 a lot which was a bit weird for a battery driven amp.

I had no idea what kind of power it could take so I wrote back to Zigis and asked what plug and power. He virtually instantly replied that it could go to 30v and I had one of the first of a new variation of the Zigis amp. In fact, he hadn't advertised it yet.

I quickly found A 24v supply and the dynamics on this amp are really good. It really has authority and a nice clean sound that really does fill the K601 boots well.

It's a really surprising sounding amp and you feel that it should be delivering this level of sound or power. Zigis responds so quickly by email that it's easy to forget how far away he is from me in the UK and also just how fast his delivery was. It got here amazingly fast and it's so cheap to buy as well.

I really recommend this amp. It's a lovely listen; even with the AKG's which has surprised me. No harshness and a lovely, clean sound.

Well worth trying.

Thank you Zigis. You have a cracker there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back