New ZEN Vision W & ZEN Vision M: 60GB
Sep 3, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
If you've never owned one, I would appreciate if you stay out of this and not voice a negative opinion on a product you've never even seen, felt, tried, or owned. There's differences between looking at specs and actually using it. I use my Zen Vision 30GB everyday and it's not cumbersome or heavy, it feels substantial yes, but that gives me a higher sense of build quality and fit and finish then the "mickey mouse" feeling I got off the 5G Ipod. Once I get the money this will definitely be on my to buy list.

On a side note, The Duke Of Eli, please stop this thread crapping please, if you don't like Creative that's fine, but please stop criticizing their products. As an Ipod lover, you're speaking from a biased point of view. If you want to complain about it why don't you make a thread about it, if not please refrain from posting more comments like "22.1 mm?? That's insane!!", or "If you want something tha that big, just bite the bullet and buy a PVP". I'm not sure if you were aware, of if you personally classify a PVP as something something other than a player designed to play video however, the Zen Vision W IS a PVP. You don't like it when people prod about the Ipod so please don't do it yourself.

If you feel the need to post, at least get your facts together please. We are not on "bordering on the release of perpendicular HD's", Toshiba lauched the F41 with a 1.8" 40GB perpendicular over a year ago on August 16th, 2005.

Second, why do you feel that perpendicular technology will increase a player's strength so much? Sure with a perp. drive you can fit an 80gb disk into a player but so what? HD size is continually increasing, and HD's will always be getting bigger as new technology is developed.

Third, overpriced? The 30GBArchos AV500, which you so often praise, sells for $450, for ten dollars more you can purchase the 60GB Creative Zen Vision.

Fourth, 4.5 hours of battery life is the time rated for constant video playback, the Ipod, with a screen almost half the size of the Zen Vision w, is only rated at 2 hours, and that rating was not conservative by any means, two hours is if you're lucky. I know, I had one. For audio playback, it's rated only an hour less with the standard battery, than the smaller screened Ipod 30Gb Ipod, and if they release a large capacity battery like they did with the Vision 30GB, battery life doubles. Compared to the smaller screened AV500, video playback battery life is the same, with a two hour difference between audio playback.

Fifth, "I'm sure it'll be acceptable, but not line-out acceptable". Are you just fooling or what? The Creative Players, with the exception of the first gen Micro which had some hiss problems, are touted for some of the best sound quality in the portable audio world. On top of the 97db SNR, the player sounds fantastic, both out of the headphone out and the line-out, yes it does include a built-in line-out if you weren't aware. In fact, in the past, Creative's players were noted that the only thing they could do right, was sound really good.

Lastly, "but at that size and the higher weight you might as well bite the bullet and get a PVP", as I have said before unless you classify a PVP as somethign that was not deisgned to be a play videos portably, the Zen Vision W is indeed a portable video player.

I think you're a bit off base here. I think you need to read any release from any well-informed technology magazine or website. Perpendicular drives for PCs, laptops and digital music players will be commonplace in 2007. If you don't beleive me then buy the Vision:W and we'll see who's laughing in a couple of months.

Secondly the F41 was a first generation product and toshiba is fitting 40gb per platter. They also have an 80gb version and what makes you think that they can't fit another to make 120gb? Everyone almost laid an egg with the high-capacity (at that time) 4gb Nano so I'm sure that they'll be using 3 platter configurations soon. And hard drives haven't been getting bigger; they've been getting smaller. Ever heard of a cornice drive? Didn't think so. Sure it's out of date now, but that was a big step forward in smaller hard drives. With smaller devices now, and a need for bigger capacities, hard drives will get smaller.

I'll also have you know that I'm not an Ipod fanboy, and I owned a Zen Vision:M 30gb player for about a month and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of lossless support. I'm saying that if you want 2.1 cm in your pocket plus the extra weight then bo ahead and buy a thick player. If you're going that thick you might as well get a PVP. That was my point, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I know the ipod 5g is rated at about an hour and a half of video, but here's a newsflash: it's not an Ipod Video. A PVP is designed to watch videos on it. The 5g ipod's video capabilities is just an extra, and the screen sucks compared to the Vision:M. But with the two players side-by-side the ipod just seems like such a better choice in your pocket. Also you need a case which'll add even more thickness in your pocket.

It's nice that maybe you'll get a double-capacity battery with your Vision:W (for about 60$ and an extra third of an inch), but your comparison to the AV500 isn't a fair one. If you want to compare apples to apples compare it to the Achos 606. The AV500 is an older model now which also had PVR functionalities, a crap load of accessories and a digital camera.

I also don't care what brand of players it is, but sonically no headphone out will match the quality of a line-out output. It's impossible, but maybe you'll find a way. Let me know.

And when I said: "but at that size and the higher weight you might as well bite the bullet and get a PVP". I was talking about the Vision:M 60gb compared to biting the bullet and getting a Vision:W. Granted both are fine products, but the Vision:M 60gb is too thick and I'd be torn between a Vision:W and an Archos 604.

Thanks for flaming me though, but I think you have some more research to do before you start to challenge what I'm saying.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 40
You kids shouldn't play so rough...Someone's liable to get hurt. (god I love that movie) Why must people get so bent out of shape about these things ? People are going to buy what they want to because they have a ceaseless itch, which can only be temporarily cured by by consuming as many new goodies as they can afford.

I have an IHP 120, a 5 Gen iPod, and am seriously thinking about getting the new ZVM 60 gig when it comes out. UMS support, line out, great SQ (as I would assume it's the same as the current version) and a kick ass GUI ? What could be so bad ? As for the added heft, it's definitely a compromise that one has to personally make if they want the added features such as FM radio and recording. Of course it's going to need to be bigger... Is the 60 gig iPod larger than the 30 gig one ? Of course it is ! And yes, it's still thinner than the Vision, because of the ommission of the FM radio and recording. Pretty logical.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
UMS support

its not UMS, its MTP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
And yes, it's still thinner than the Vision, because of the ommission of the FM radio and recording. Pretty logical.

thats not why its thinner. FM and recording do not take up that much space.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #34 of 40
Who cares? It depends on your priorities.

If pocket space is something you'll not always spare easily, the iPod 5G looks more appealing.

If you want USB-Host and FM Radio on the go, the Zen Vision:M looks more appealing.

It's a market with a bunch of options and I commend Creative for their commitment to some improvement alongside revision, yielding a player that will definitely carve a niche in the market for some people who find its features and consequent nuances ideal for them.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 40
Massive Apple vs Creative battle here. I'm going to wait till Christmas. That's when all the goodies come out. By then, both companies would've released their next generation products. I think Creative have done very well by introducing these two new products. They're certainly attractively priced and spec'ed.

If only Apple would join forces with Creative and make an uber player:
  1. long battery life (20+ audio, 5+ video)
  2. large screen (2.5"+)
  3. thin size (<20mm)
  4. FM radio
  5. line-out
  6. 96db s-n headphone out
  7. vast audio and visual format support (wmv, aac, mp3, flac, alac, aiff, wav, wavpack, avi, mp4, mov, wma, etc...)
  8. large capacity (60+gig)
  9. iTunes + drag 'n drop compatible (windows-explorer-style)
  10. "millions" of accessories
  11. "millions" of colours
  12. etc...

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I think you're a bit off base here. I think you need to read any release from any well-informed technology magazine or website. Perpendicular drives for PCs, laptops and digital music players will be commonplace in 2007. If you don't beleive me then buy the Vision:W and we'll see who's laughing in a couple of months.

Secondly the F41 was a first generation product and toshiba is fitting 40gb per platter. They also have an 80gb version and what makes you think that they can't fit another to make 120gb? Everyone almost laid an egg with the high-capacity (at that time) 4gb Nano so I'm sure that they'll be using 3 platter configurations soon. And hard drives haven't been getting bigger; they've been getting smaller. Ever heard of a cornice drive? Didn't think so. Sure it's out of date now, but that was a big step forward in smaller hard drives. With smaller devices now, and a need for bigger capacities, hard drives will get smaller.

I'll also have you know that I'm not an Ipod fanboy, and I owned a Zen Vision:M 30gb player for about a month and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of lossless support. I'm saying that if you want 2.1 cm in your pocket plus the extra weight then bo ahead and buy a thick player. If you're going that thick you might as well get a PVP. That was my point, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I know the ipod 5g is rated at about an hour and a half of video, but here's a newsflash: it's not an Ipod Video. A PVP is designed to watch videos on it. The 5g ipod's video capabilities is just an extra, and the screen sucks compared to the Vision:M. But with the two players side-by-side the ipod just seems like such a better choice in your pocket. Also you need a case which'll add even more thickness in your pocket.

It's nice that maybe you'll get a double-capacity battery with your Vision:W (for about 60$ and an extra third of an inch), but your comparison to the AV500 isn't a fair one. If you want to compare apples to apples compare it to the Achos 606. The AV500 is an older model now which also had PVR functionalities, a crap load of accessories and a digital camera.

I also don't care what brand of players it is, but sonically no headphone out will match the quality of a line-out output. It's impossible, but maybe you'll find a way. Let me know.

And when I said: "but at that size and the higher weight you might as well bite the bullet and get a PVP". I was talking about the Vision:M 60gb compared to biting the bullet and getting a Vision:W. Granted both are fine products, but the Vision:M 60gb is too thick and I'd be torn between a Vision:W and an Archos 604.

Thanks for flaming me though, but I think you have some more research to do before you start to challenge what I'm saying.

I probably will buy the Zen Vision W, and no I won't be crying after I buy it, if it satisfies me that's all that matters. I don't have the time nor the money to try and "keep up with the Jones", if I like it and it works well, I don't really care if someone else has one witha bigger hard drive as it does not affect me nor the players performance.

Some people may need the extra storage space but to be frank I don't. I only have around 2000 songs, I usually only keep a handful of videos on my player, but if someone really needs the storage space then yes, it would be better for them to wait. However technology is ever advancing and if you go by that motto you'll never end up buying anything since something new will always be on the horizon.

I was also referring to a hard drive's capacity, not the actual size of the drive, I assumed you would know that but apparently you missed my point, so for that I apologize, I should have been clearer. I also thought that your comment about the thickiness and the PVP was directed towards the Vision W, which I just thought wa uncalled for. If it was directed at the Vision M then by all means, I'm not a fan of that player, I actually dislike it more than the Ipod 5G as I feel that it is heavily flawed both aesthetically and physically.

About the headphone-out, if you read my post carefully you'll see that I mentioned that the Zen Vision 30Gb does indeed have a line-out, I was not trying to justify the point that a headphone-out will match a line-out, where that came from, I do not know as I also believe that a headphone-out will not be as up to par as a line-out for amped music.

I have no wish to flame anyone, I feel now that flaming doesn't really accomplish anything nor does it drive home any point, it just angers both sides. I just felt some of your comments were misplaced and misrepresented, mostly because the way your arguments were phrased, was rather confusing.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 40
CNET Asia has just completed its review of the Zen Vision W. It scored an 8/10, which is not bad, and received an Editors Choice.

The good: Great battery life for video playback; good audio fidelity; widescreen display; vibrant colors; organic UI.

The bad: Thicker than the original; no TV recording; only a mono speaker.

The bottom line: The Zen Vision W is an excellent improvement over the Zen Vision. Though it missed improving certain features, its beguiling screen, GUI and battery life won us over.

Creative Zen Vision W (30GB)

wink.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #38 of 40
Does Zen Vision W support any kind of lossles music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back