New ZEN Vision W & ZEN Vision M: 60GB
Sep 2, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #16 of 40
I 60GB Ipod is 0.55 inches (14 mm) thick. The 60GB Zen Vision M is 0.85 inches (21.5 mm) thick, about 50% thicker.

The good thing is that the Zen has 5 hours of video playback, 2 hours more than the iPod. It also has more features including voice recorder, fm radio, more screen colors and usb host.

It's basically a size vs. features trade-off.

I know for many, your jean pocket will dictate which player you buy.

eggosmile.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 40
actually, the zen vision:m 60GB is 22.1mm according to the product webpage.

the good thing about the ipod is that it has 20 hours audio while the vision:m has only 16 and the ipod supports a lossless codec. the ipod has also been around for almost a year

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
I 60GB Ipod is 0.55 inches (14 mm) thick. The 60GB Zen Vision M is 0.85 inches (21.5 mm) thick, about 50% thicker.

The good thing is that the Zen has 5 hours of video playback, 2 hours more than the iPod. It also has more features including voice recorder, fm radio, more screen colors and usb host.

It's basically a size vs. features trade-off.

I know for many, your jean pocket will dictate which player you buy.

eggosmile.gif

The iPod has iTunes, the radio remote, and a huuuuuge base of third party accessories.

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
actually, the zen vision:m 60GB is 22.1mm according to the product webpage.

the good thing about the ipod is that it has 20 hours audio while the vision:m has only 16 and the ipod supports a lossless codec. the ipod has also been around for almost a year

Hey Tyler, why don't you tell us about the superior screen of the iPod. I'm sure you have a million wbepages to back-up your arguements.

etysmile.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 40
22.1mm? That's crazy. It's nice to have the extra battery, but at that size and the higher weight you might as well bite the bullet and get a PVP.

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by patschreyer
The iPod has iTunes, the radio remote, and a huuuuuge base of third party accessories.

No doubt. The iPod wins on accessories. Funny that Creatrive Labs will now be making accessories for the iPod (after they settled the menu patent lawsuit with Apple).

Some would argue that iTunes is not an advantage. There is a love/hate relationship with that software around here.

You pay $399 for an iPod and then need to spend another $50 on a radio remote? Unfortunately, Apple will never put FM in the iPod.

biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 40
Not sure if its the same, but I have had one of these for about 2 months...The box and machine does not say W, just Zen Vision. The SQ is better than the 5GB Zen Micro I have. I am waiting for my Stax SR-001 to see how it stacks up. For music only, the battery lasts some 12 hours.

Here is a pix of my pdp on my son's bed with the MS-1.

p.s. I live in Singapore, so may have one of the earlier releases in Creative's home market.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #23 of 40
I don't understand why creative keep making similar products, first there was that media center thingy, then ZV, now ZVW...They all look the same to me in a way... And to be honest, everything is getting slimmer now and Creative is adding thickness to ZVM... unbelievable.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
I don't understand why creative keep making similar products, first there was that media center thingy, then ZV, now ZVW...They all look the same to me in a way... And to be honest, everything is getting slimmer now and Creative is adding thickness to ZVM... unbelievable.

If you've never owned one, I would appreciate if you stay out of this and not voice a negative opinion on a product you've never even seen, felt, tried, or owned. There's differences between looking at specs and actually using it. I use my Zen Vision 30GB everyday and it's not cumbersome or heavy, it feels substantial yes, but that gives me a higher sense of build quality and fit and finish then the "mickey mouse" feeling I got off the 5G Ipod. Once I get the money this will definitely be on my to buy list.

On a side note, The Duke Of Eli, please stop this thread crapping please, if you don't like Creative that's fine, but please stop criticizing their products. As an Ipod lover, you're speaking from a biased point of view. If you want to complain about it why don't you make a thread about it, if not please refrain from posting more comments like "22.1 mm?? That's insane!!", or "If you want something tha that big, just bite the bullet and buy a PVP". I'm not sure if you were aware, of if you personally classify a PVP as something something other than a player designed to play video however, the Zen Vision W IS a PVP. You don't like it when people prod about the Ipod so please don't do it yourself.

If you feel the need to post, at least get your facts together please. We are not on "bordering on the release of perpendicular HD's", Toshiba lauched the F41 with a 1.8" 40GB perpendicular over a year ago on August 16th, 2005.

Second, why do you feel that perpendicular technology will increase a player's strength so much? Sure with a perp. drive you can fit an 80gb disk into a player but so what? HD size is continually increasing, and HD's will always be getting bigger as new technology is developed.

Third, overpriced? The 30GBArchos AV500, which you so often praise, sells for $450, for ten dollars more you can purchase the 60GB Creative Zen Vision.

Fourth, 4.5 hours of battery life is the time rated for constant video playback, the Ipod, with a screen almost half the size of the Zen Vision w, is only rated at 2 hours, and that rating was not conservative by any means, two hours is if you're lucky. I know, I had one. For audio playback, it's rated only an hour less with the standard battery, than the smaller screened Ipod 30Gb Ipod, and if they release a large capacity battery like they did with the Vision 30GB, battery life doubles. Compared to the smaller screened AV500, video playback battery life is the same, with a two hour difference between audio playback.

Fifth, "I'm sure it'll be acceptable, but not line-out acceptable". Are you just fooling or what? The Creative Players, with the exception of the first gen Micro which had some hiss problems, are touted for some of the best sound quality in the portable audio world. On top of the 97db SNR, the player sounds fantastic, both out of the headphone out and the line-out, yes it does include a built-in line-out if you weren't aware. In fact, in the past, Creative's players were noted that the only thing they could do right, was sound really good.

Lastly, "but at that size and the higher weight you might as well bite the bullet and get a PVP", as I have said before unless you classify a PVP as somethign that was not deisgned to be a play videos portably, the Zen Vision W is indeed a portable video player.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 40
^ Well said, couldn't agree more

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #27 of 40
Have you seen the latest Creative UI? ****s all over the iPod UI imo.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
If you've never owned one, I would appreciate if you stay out of this and not voice a negative opinion on a product you've never even seen, felt, tried, or owned. There's differences between looking at specs and actually using it. I use my Zen Vision 30GB everyday and it's not cumbersome or heavy, it feels substantial yes, but that gives me a higher sense of build quality and fit and finish then the "mickey mouse" feeling I got off the 5G Ipod. Once I get the money this will definitely be on my to buy list.

Yes, yes, I completely understand, and that's how I feel too. What I was trying to say is, Creative is overlapping its own production lines. I do have a ZVM 30Gb that is. And I love it. Personally I'm a big Creative fanboy, started using their DAPs since 2004 and have undergone at least 5 different products already. But really adding more thickness would only turn potential customers away (like me...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back