New Zealand Meeting?
Jun 26, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #31 of 63
Yeah that reminds me too. I'm free between July 13 and August 6th, and after probably after August 23 (family duty calls).

I'm thinking perhaps we can call up some headphone reseller (e.g. Sennheiser or AKG), and maybe they'd be interested in hosting such an event. This way we'll get access to more headphones, too. Anybody here knows someone in the business?

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxphile
I'm thinking perhaps we can call up some headphone reseller (e.g. Sennheiser or AKG), and maybe they'd be interested in hosting such an event. This way we'll get access to more headphones, too. Anybody here knows someone in the business?

Can't say i do, i wasn't too impressed with the headphones at most of the places i went looking at when i wanted a pair, it's mostly low-end sony's and occasionally sennheisers. haven't seen a real life grado headphone in my time in the headphone shops in Auckland. Someone else might know more though, i only tried about 5 shops then gave up...

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #33 of 63
retravision, i think its called, thats the big blue buildin on dominion road had 1 pair of grado SR-125s for like 625$$ or so...

most hi-fi stores have a small selection of sennheisers, and i saw some koss at borders : P

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #35 of 63
I got no headphones. Again, I can bring my META42 if I get it polished up a bit... I could maybe build a PIMETA but there's no real point to it when i'm headphoneless, heh.

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #36 of 63
i have a pimeta if you dont want to make one,

y r u headphoneless, got big plans for a new rig ^ ^ ?

mmmmm, i got the urge to upgrade again, to a RS-1 ppx3 setup, just that im ment to be buyin a car soon, and once i get that, rego, wof, ugh, ahh, as well, unlimited wants, limited means *sigh*

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #37 of 63
New rig.. Possibly. I'm too busy enjoying speakerfi at the moment, and my speakers suck. Still, better in the imaging / soundstage portion of hi-fi by so much that I don't wanna buy headphones when I know they'll do a worse job..

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #38 of 63
Hello to all you Kiwis...It is a tentative plan, my wife and I may be coming down there to fly in a Kite Festival that may be held in Rotarua this next January...Need a courier? Could I get suggestions as to what to see/visit while passing through Aukland?

I'm big and Ugly, so it would be an imposition to ask any of you to put us up, but would be willing to meet/visit...would bring some of my gear also...

It has been nearly 30 years since I was there, but I sure enjoyed my visits back then.

Regards

Guy

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #39 of 63
Hmm.. Next January... So far away...

Quite honestly speaking, there's no much to see between Auckland and Rotorua, especially for a tourist. I live right in the middle between Auckland and Rotorua (Hamilton), and I found myself driving at least 5 hours to any place of tourism value.

It really depends on how much time you plan to spend in NZ. If you have a week or so, I'd suggest you to stay in Rotorua/Taupo region. There's so much to do and see there. On the other hand, if you have more time, a visit to the Northland (esp. Bay of Islands) will definitely be an experience of your life. Since you'll be coming during the hottest tourist season, you might want to plan ahead and book accomodations as early as possible.

As for meetings.. Well our August meeting is still in the air, so another meeting in January..? Hopefully we'll work it out tho.

Do research on the web before you come. It'd definitely pay off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Hello to all you Kiwis...It is a tentative plan, my wife and I may be coming down there to fly in a Kite Festival that may be held in Rotarua this next January...Need a courier? Could I get suggestions as to what to see/visit while passing through Aukland?

I'm big and Ugly, so it would be an imposition to ask any of you to put us up, but would be willing to meet/visit...would bring some of my gear also...

It has been nearly 30 years since I was there, but I sure enjoyed my visits back then.

Regards

Guy

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #40 of 63
hey hey hey saxphile dont forget Matamata, the original "Hobbiton"
biggrin.gif

Matamata is also inbetween auckland and rotorua the "better"
wink.gif
alternative to Hamilton : > Well thats if your a LOTR fan and want to see the Hobbit burrows they used in the film.....

My Dad lives in rotorua so i make trips down there from auckland every now n'then, its a nice lil town, but ull get bored if you stay there too long. If your into hiking theres always the Tongariro Crossing near by which is regarded as ones of the best one day hikes, nice scenery, blue lakes, green lakes, pwetty views, volcanic area scenery, etc

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #41 of 63
i just like to pitch in the keep this alive. ok im nowhere near auckland but with enough notice i could make a meet up there, if its worthwhile for me. sa,y if you could get a retailer interested. or how about some people from audioenz? maybe you could cross-post on their forum.

gear i got: grado sr80's - pimeta - marantz cd7300

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #42 of 63
August is almost gone and nobody even remembered about this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone still interested in a meeting?

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #43 of 63
I remembered, but it really doesn't look like anyone's that interested. A mini-meet between a few people in Auckland would be easier than trying to arrange a bunch of people from around the country. For Aucklanders it's easy to organise a mini-meet yourselves or contact people directly.

Now that i've found what i'm after (AV 710/PPA/A900) i'm selling off most of the rest of my gear, like the 271s and CD3Ks, so i'd not have a lot to contribute. Well still more than most but not as much as I had at my peak
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
It's probable that i'll have some form of Stax next year.

But I thought you were giving up headphones?
confused.gif

[Edited: I can't spell]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back