New Zealand Meeting?
Jan 24, 2004 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

saxphile

100+ Head-Fier
Although New Zealanders seem to be terribly under-represented in this forum, I think it might be worth while to check out the possibility of a get-together. I live in Hamilton myself, so meeting in Auckland would be fine.

Please post if you're in New Zealand, whether you plan to come to meeting or not. This way people could know who to ask first if they want to sell/exchage their gears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 63
bump...

cmon Kiwi fellas I know you're out there.

Jan 30, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 63
Yo

I don't really care for hi-fi anymore, these DT880s do it for me. (even if people are going to say they suck, like a certain missile at #headphones
evil_smiley.gif

But i'm here.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 63
heh.. I thought the same thing when I got my K401 two years ago. But here I am, with my just-arrived HD650.
rolleyes.gif

Let's see what you think after a few months.
biggrin.gif

---

BTW, has swee PMed you about building an amp?

Jan 31, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 63
Well, the next thing i'm doing is giving back this here PPA to Adamzuf (he's running around in NZ somewhere)

I'm buying a trip to Japan so headphones are on the back burner. I borrowed some CD3000s for a couple of days and they sounded great but... I don't want them.
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, he did PM me about something. I forgot to reply. Oops.

Feb 8, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 63
Well i'm in auckland, and would be game for a meeting anywhere within 200km from here
biggrin.gif

I don't have much to contribute though, my specs are quite low still. Best i can provide is a pair of Sony MDR-F1's and a vintage sansui amp. give the USPS a few days and i can add a RME digi96/8 pad soundcard to that.

But yeah count me in
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 63
Hi Matt,

I'm very much intrigued by your MDR-F1s. I owned a pair of MDR-605LP at some stage, which is the closest little brother to MDR-F1. It was a long time ago since I last heard them, but I think the sound was not very impressive. What did impressed me was how comfortable they are. In my opinion they're more comfortable than K401s. Anyway, I've always wondered how the real deal (MDR-F1) sounds like. If we do have a meeting, I would very much like to try your F1s!

Considering most people responded so far live in Auckland, it would be most sensible place to hold a meeting. Any suggestions for time or place?

Quote:

Originally posted by CEO Matt
Well i'm in auckland, and would be game for a meeting anywhere within 200km from here
biggrin.gif

I don't have much to contribute though, my specs are quite low still. Best i can provide is a pair of Sony MDR-F1's and a vintage sansui amp. give the USPS a few days and i can add a RME digi96/8 pad soundcard to that.

But yeah count me in
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by saxphile
Considering most people responded so far live in Auckland, it would be most sensible place to hold a meeting. Any suggestions for time or place?

It'd be very difficult for me to host, although I'd like to, as my parents would take much convincing to let me invite internet buddies around.
tongue.gif

I have no quaims about the time, on the condition that it's a weekend.... I'm a student from 8am till 4pm five days a week, so any time there is out for me.

saxphile and myself, aka me; could you post your systems that you could contribute to a meet? i'm intreagued to what gear other New Zealanders could get a hold of.

Just to recap mine:
Cans: MDR-F1, MDR-V250 (not that you'd want to hear THOSE)

Amp: Vintage Sansui QR-1500

Source: at the moment SB PCI128 soundcard, but a RME digi96/8 PAD is on it's way down as we speak....

No special cabling/power tweaks.

Saxphile, i'm really happy with the sound of my F1's, i'm nowhere near synergy yet but they sound real good to be, best cans i've heard (not that i've heard anything worth much more anyway).
They're pretty well summed up in the threads here: airy, wide soundstage, picky to drive, but smooth when driven by something with power.

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 63
Beyer DT880 out of a PPA being fed by an MDS-PC1 MiniDisc component.

I also have a META42 and a few half completed opamp based headphone amps.

Alternately,
Myself Aka Me's lungs -> "generic mouthpiece" -> "generic Tenor Saxophone". Hey, i'm getting a better one, maybe a Yamaha, whenever trade-exchange lists something nice.

Too busy with school to do headphoning
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
Alternately,
Myself Aka Me's lungs -> "generic mouthpiece" -> "generic Tenor Saxophone".

I like the lung system. :p are you gonna upgrade that source any time soon? it seems like the weak link in the audio chain to me.
wink.gif

Seriously, how does the PPA effect the sound of the DT880's? is there much of an improvement with it, as opposed to no amp?

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 63
What a pleasant surprise! I also used to play tenor saxophone in my university band. I have a Keilwerth SX90 with a Selmer mouthpiece. Pity I left it behind when I moved to New Zealand, otherwise I could show it to you guys (not that I'm a good player in any way).

I have just received my HD650 from dvdupgrade not long ago. Before it a pair of K401 used to be my main headphone. I also have HD535, PX200, and Koss KSC50 (all bought in or from US except for PX200, which is bought in Taiwan). I use them out of a JMT-built cmoy out of iBook G3-800.
wink.gif
I plan to get a Total Bithead when I go to the US in March to avoid the expensive shipping cost. Marketek mini-mini cable is used to connect the amp to my iBook.

So yeah, all my headphone rigs are ready for the road.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
Myself Aka Me's lungs -> "generic mouthpiece" -> "generic Tenor Saxophone". Hey, i'm getting a better one, maybe a Yamaha, whenever trade-exchange lists something nice.

Too busy with school to do headphoning
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 63
Damn, I wish there was someone in Wgtn with HD650s I could have a listen to! I'd love to compare them to my 280s. saxphile, maybe next time i'm in Auckland i'll meet you somewhere (or drop by) for a head to head comparison, so to speak
wink.gif
My total bithead is ordered and so will ship as soon as HeadRoom have them ready
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 63
I got a source upgrade!

I have what I think is a Yanagisawa T900. At least, I don't think it's a T880 or T800, it's serial indicates it was built in 1990, and it doesn't have features of a T901.

It's very good, even with this yuck mouthpiece. I'm getting a Link sometime so then i'll be fine..

The PPA is very good, and i'll miss it, but my META certainly doesn't suck. You can't use the DT880 seriously without an amp with any of my stuff.

I'm not really the best person to ask about it either, i've essentially given up on headphone hi fi. I just don't really care anymore. The stuff i've good is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back