New York mini meet : Hifiman He-1000 Impressions thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #48 of 174
Man, just reading these impressions, the HE-1000 just sounds like it'll be expen$$$$ive.... the fact that Fang made a direct comparison to the Orpheus doesn't bode well either.

Dr. Fang, please make these attainable for the blue-collar head-fi'ers!!

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #49 of 174
I auditioned these headphones for 10 minutes and these are my overall impressions as a junior headfi. Take what you will with a grain of salt.

1. Aesthetics/Build Quality:

From a glance the headphones looks well constructed and made from high quality materials. I expected them to feel heavy, but I barely felt the weight when i put them on. These weight improvements most likely carried over from the improvements made on the 400is and 560s. I do not own these headphones so I cannot elaborate on the marginal improvements.

2. Sound:

Classical music was used to showcase the HE 1000s during this meet. The first thing I noticed was the overall immersive listening experience.I felt the strings section stand out and felt as if I was somewhere in the orchestra. The track was played at high volume so that may have skewed my impressions. I did not get a chance to test the headphones at low volume.   

I was also given a chance to listen through a portable source. I was expecting a night and day difference when moving between sources, but could not point out any obvious differences. At this point, I am beginning to question my hearing and why I am even in this hobby.  

Conclusion
I expect the HE 1000 to function well as an all around headphone, but it is too early to say at this point. The headphone sonic qualities should be noticeable for anyone coming from mid tier headphones.  

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #50 of 174
  I auditioned these headphones for 10 minutes and these are my overall impressions as a junior headfi. Take what you will with a grain of salt.

1. Aesthetics/Build Quality:

From a glance the headphones looks well constructed and made from high quality materials. I expected them to feel heavy, but I barely felt the weight when i put them on. These weight improvements most likely carried over from the improvements made on the 400is and 560s. I do not own these headphones so I cannot elaborate on the marginal improvements.

2. Sound:

Classical music was used to showcase the HE 1000s during this meet. The first thing I noticed was the overall immersive listening experience.I felt the strings section stand out and felt as if I was somewhere in the orchestra. The track was played at high volume so that may have skewed my impressions. I did not get a chance to test the headphones at low volume.   

I was also given a chance to listen through a portable source. I was expecting a night and day difference when moving between sources, but could not point out any obvious differences. At this point, I am beginning to question my hearing and why I am even in this hobby.  

Conclusion
I expect the HE 1000 to function well as an all around headphone, but it is too early to say at this point. The headphone sonic qualities should be noticeable for anyone coming from mid tier headphones.  

Lol, don't worry. That sometimes happens when moving from a great source to a worse one... most people hear right away the difference if its a step up, but not always vice versa. I'm confident that with ~15 min. more listening time, you'd get the hang of it. I had the same problem originally, so don't be discouraged! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #54 of 174

If it sounds "good" driven by anything, I'm staying far away....

Very interesting comment sir. I think this concept deserves its own thread not related to any particular phone.
What I mean is that it's a great question to ponder if a headphone that is not that sensitive to the upstream food chain means it's covering up something important.
Is (ruthlessly?) revealing a plus or a minus?...
(This reminds me of the Harbeth syndrome, where it is claimed that Harbeth speakers sound just super-peachy with even mid-fi amps. I have found Harbeths to be cloaking devices and sold a pair I had a few years ago.)

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 174
Very interesting comment sir. I think this concept deserves its own thread not related to any particular phone.
What I mean is that it's a great question to ponder if a headphone that is not that sensitive to the upstream food chain means it's covering up something important.
Is (ruthlessly?) revealing a plus or a minus?...

doubt that this can is anything but highly resolving judging by the early impressions. if it's also relatively easy to drive for a planar magnetic then i see that as a strength rather than a weakness. suspect that's what folks mean when they say it sounds good out of almost anything. doesn't mean that it won't "scale" with "high end" gear.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #57 of 174
Price will be higher than people are anticipating, which is fine, because people will pay if the performance is there. People are paying $4000+ for the Tera Player now, so there are no limits. And the new wealth here in a China often results in higher prices meaning it is better regardless of the reality. I just saw a pair of Infinity Kappa 80s sell for $4000! Only in China.

I will buy a pair:wink: But he better build these very well. I have never been happy with his QC. Have had to spend too much time returning for repairs....but I keep buying, so he's doing something right.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #58 of 174
Sounds very promising--no pun intended.

If it sounds just as good as the HE-6 without being so demanding on amplification, it is already a huge step forward. The improvement in speed and soundstage is icing on the cake.

The new design of the earcups and grills are an improvement over the recently released HE-560 and a huge improvement over the original HE look.

The look of the head band, similar to the HE-560, is a real disappointment. Now, in addition to the earmuffs, Princess Leia is also sporting a weird ribbon in her hair.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #59 of 174
You know, I just think it should be said that Fang should be commended for his courage in letting any headfi people who wanted to do so listen to his new creation and publicly comment on it.
Opening a new offering to the slings and arrows of audiophile consumption right away in pre-sales mode takes a lot of courage and pride in your product.
*edit*: should have said "Highly" commended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back