New York mini meet : Hifiman He-1000 Impressions thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #152 of 174
  I hear no sibilance with the hE1000

Thanks Frank,
Did you have a chance to test a fully SS setup [I guess something like the EF-1000+a SS DAC]

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #154 of 174
  I tried the Oppo BDP 105 ESS sabre dac and the Chrod Higo and both sound fantastic with the EF 1000 and the HE1000

Thanks Frank.
The question is, do you observe this seldom sibilance I spoke of with the HE-560 [stock Focus pads if possible]? If both sound completely sibilance-free to you on those setups, then the statement does not hold much ground to me as I experience some sibilance with the HE-560 at times, regardless of setup.
I would look for the HE-1000 to be even smoother, reducing the sibilance further. Only treble is an issue for me, really. Though I am aware the improvements would be many, though treble being the most important.
If you could verify, should you not remember, that would be very appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #155 of 174
Thanks.
Usually when I talk sibilance I mean vocals as that one is most annoying.
Everything else sibilance comes second
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear no sibilance with the hE1000

On the topic of sibilance...

Some may remember, Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 was used by Shure as a sibilance test on their trackability test record - An Audio Obstacle Course.  There's very sibilant section on that track that starts at around 30 seconds and ends around 60 seconds.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #156 of 174

On the topic of sibilance...

Some may remember, Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 was use by Shure as a sibilance test on their trackability test record - An Audio Obstacle Course.  There's very sibilant section on that track that starts at around 30 seconds and ends around 60 seconds.

Holly cow!!! You just gave me a big flash back from when I was a kid ans seeing my father listening to that Brasil 66 record played in a Stromberg-Carlson console. 
beerchug.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #158 of 174
  Can anyone ball park me when a pair of headphones in this stage might become available? I've been picking out my first hi-fi system but this HE1000 sounds like it might be the HD800 "with soul" that I've been looking for.

You nailed it ..! That's been my main gripe about the HD800 every time I've tried it, except for the one unit I tried that had had the Annax mod on it. That one sounded organically musical. Waiting for the HE-1000 to deliver on the promising combination of an HE-500 and HE-6 all rolled into one and surpassing both of those headphones. Haven't yet heard the HE-6 so hoping the HE-1000 surpasses it. I think that is the threshold Hifiman has to overcome. Time for Fang to pull out that old Threshold and set up a benchmark test . . .

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #160 of 174

You nailed it ..! That's been my main gripe about the HD800 every time I've tried it, except for the one unit I tried that had had the Annax mod on it. That one sounded organically musical. Waiting for the HE-1000 to deliver on the promising combination of an HE-500 and HE-6 all rolled into one and surpassing both of those headphones. Haven't yet heard the HE-6 so hoping the HE-1000 surpasses it. I think that is the threshold Hifiman has to overcome. Time for Fang to pull out that old Threshold and set up a benchmark test . . .

Same.. I fall into the category of people that can only tolerate the HD800 with the Annaxilus mod + a good tube amp pairing. Planars have shown to be the most promising future for head-fi :]

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #161 of 174
The HD800 does well with many headphones including the Cavalli Liquid Gold balanced. The HE1000 in  my opinion is an all around better headphone clearly though at  a higher price point. The HE1000 is  a special headphone and Fang 's best  creation since he started the business. I will miss this when it leaves shortly. I will be writing my detailed impressions shortly and give my thoughts on this headphone.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #162 of 174
Can anyone ball park me when a pair of headphones in this stage might become available? I've been picking out my first hi-fi system but this HE1000 sounds like it might be the HD800 "with soul" that I've been looking for.

Though yet to be supported by long-term listening, first impressions suggest that the HE1000 will have plenty of everything, including "soul."

For your interest, the HD800 does have soul. You just have to feed it soulful watts. I have listened to this HP at length with the EAR HP-4, and the Pass Aleph 3 (35 wpc; Class-A) if you prefer a speaker amp, and the HD800 positively oozes soul. And it even shows plenty of ba*lls with the Woo WA5 out of the balanced K1K output.

For the longest time people complained about the HE6 not being dynamic enough and having no testicular fortitude in the bass. Well, that is true if you feed it puny watts from most HP amps. Feed it the electrons on steroid from the Woo WA5, or electronic Tsunami from the Pass Aleph 2 (100 wpc; Class-A), and you get bass slams harder that what you see in World Wide Wrestling. BTW, the smaller Pass Aleph 3 that works so perfectly with the HD800, delivers everything you want with the He-6 except the bass slam, which just goes to show that you need to spend time carefully matching amp and HP before passing definitive judgement.

I hope that with the HE-1000, HiFiMan gives us a HP that is less demanding than the one it superseeds. I seriously doubt it though, as any high-resolution transducer will always be more demanding--and more revealing--of associated components than your average cans.

And based on HiFiMan past record, there will be three more new models in the next two years, so I am not in any hurry to jump on the HE-1000 band wagon. Moreover, based on latest pricing of top head gears ($5,000 HP; $2,500 IEM), the HE-1000 may well be priced out of reach of a mere mortal like me.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #163 of 174
I hope that with the HE-1000, HiFiMan gives us a HP that is less demanding than the one it superseeds. I seriously doubt it though, as any high-resolution transducer will always be more demanding--and more revealing--of associated components than your average cans.

And based on HiFiMan past record, there will be three more new models in the next two years, so I am not in any hurry to jump on the HE-1000 band wagon. Moreover, based on latest pricing of top head gears ($5,000 HP; $2,500 IEM), the HE-1000 may well be priced out of reach of a mere mortal like me.

i hope he1k will be easy to drive as well & not too picky with component matching too. i think the sign that a headphone is picky actually is a negative as it implies it has a sonic flaw that requires a certain sounding amp to fix. scaling is a different story, but it is a lot easier for us if we dont need to invest in a new amp everytime we get a new pair of headphones.

lol with your current headphone/component inventory, id say you shld have no issues affording the he1k regardless of price point.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #164 of 174
i hope he1k will be easy to drive as well & not too picky with component matching too. i think the sign that a headphone is picky actually is a negative as it implies it has a sonic flaw that requires a certain sounding amp to fix. scaling is a different story, but it is a lot easier for us if we dont need to invest in a new amp everytime we get a new pair of headphones.

lol with your current headphone/component inventory, id say you shld have no issues affording the he1k regardless of price point.

I agree... And why u sellin' da K7XX so soon? I haven't even rcvd mine!

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #165 of 174
I've heard of The Yardbirds' Heart Full Of Soul, but not Watts Full Of Soul yet,
smile.gif

Quote:
Though yet to be supported by long-term listening, first impressions suggest that the HE1000 will have plenty of everything, including "soul."

For your interest, the HD800 does have soul. You just have to feed it soulful watts. I have listened to this HP at length with the EAR HP-4, and the Pass Aleph 3 (35 wpc; Class-A) if you prefer a speaker amp, and the HD800 positively oozes soul. And it even shows plenty of ba*lls with the Woo WA5 out of the balanced K1K output.

For the longest time people complained about the HE6 not being dynamic enough and having no testicular fortitude in the bass. Well, that is true if you feed it puny watts from most HP amps. Feed it the electrons on steroid from the Woo WA5, or electronic Tsunami from the Pass Aleph 2 (100 wpc; Class-A), and you get bass slams harder that what you see in World Wide Wrestling. BTW, the smaller Pass Aleph 3 that works so perfectly with the HD800, delivers everything you want with the He-6 except the bass slam, which just goes to show that you need to spend time carefully matching amp and HP before passing definitive judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back