New York City National Meet Carpooling Thread
Mar 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
I figured it was a good idea to post a thread in which NYC residents can post empty seats in their vehicles for those people that don't have cars and people staying in Manhattan hotels. I am sure there are people in the city that will need a ride as they will be carrying amps, headphones, sources, cables etc. so maybe this will allow some people to plan ahead and claim a seat in a car in their general vacinity.

I will start. I can take three people in my SUV and would prefer to meet up in Lower Manhattan/Holland Tunnel area or some other easily accesible area in Lower Manhattan. I should have room for gear, etc. as well for people that don't need a ride but need a transport service.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 34
Adding this thread to the first page of the Nat meet thread now!

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 34
This thread will now serve as a place to coordinate possible rides to and from the neighboring airports too - hook up and save some T&E!

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 34
Thanks Jahn, appreciate the linkage.

My flight leaves from JFK on Sunday at 6pm. I would be happy to share a cab/towncar/whatever from the meet to the airport at some reasonable hour in advance. It looks like it should only take 25-30 minutes driving time to the airport, so I would be looking to leave around 4pm, maybe a little later. Shoot me a PM or post your interest in ride-sharing here.

Cheers, Volt

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 34
Agile_One and I will be trying to get some sort of transport to and from the hotels for ourselves and if others can fit in it'd be great I'm sure. (I haven't asked Agile_One but I can't see him minding). Anyway, we will be getting in to La Guardia around 5:40 PM Friday and leaving around 6:30-&:00 PM Sunday.

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Agile_One and I will be trying to get some sort of transport to and from the hotels for ourselves and if others can fit in it'd be great I'm sure. (I haven't asked Agile_One but I can't see him minding). Anyway, we will be getting in to La Guardia around 5:40 PM Friday and leaving around 6:30-&:00 PM Sunday.

What's that you say? Let the Hoi-Poloi come along and share our conveyance? Well, ok, since they are part of Head-Fi nation. But, please, can we insist that they wear clean clothes and bathe?

I mean, really, what with this bird flu and all floating around, one can't be too careful. I just hope we don't get any of those west coast weirdo's or limey snobs arriving at the same time.

Reminds me, I need to avoid GoRedwings19 at all costs that weekend. Seems his Red Wings did slightly better than my Bruins this season, so I owe him a beverage or two. Please, do manage to keep us apart at all costs, because other than said debt, I understand that he is quite the unsavory individual.
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
What's that you say? Let the Hoi-Poloi come along and share our conveyance?

Uhhh, Gene, after that post they're gonna want to car bomb us, not share the ride!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 34
gpalmer/Agile_One: I arrive at LaGuardia on Friday at ~6:15PM. Sure, I'm a west coast wierdo and all
biggrin.gif
, but perhaps we can share a ride to the hotel. You're staying at the Adria, I take it?

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
gpalmer/Agile_One: I arrive at LaGuardia on Friday at ~6:15PM. Sure, I'm a west coast wierdo and all
biggrin.gif
, but perhaps we can share a ride to the hotel. You're staying at the Adria, I take it?

I'm at the Anchor Inn, I think Gene's at the Ramada so I think we have both hotels covered. Agile_One is working on the arrangements so I'll let him be the "official spokesperson" on this one.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 34
I have an hotel in the time square area, I will be more than happy to meet somebody somewhere in manhattan to go to the meet by car
biggrin.gif
and participate in anything, cofee, gas, directions.

Lionel

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
biggrin.gif

Yup, as gpalmer said, i'm checking out a car service recommended by the hotel (Adria - I'm there, too).

They (Kelly's Car Service) will send out a 14 passenger van for $45. (LaGuardia to Adria). I imagine they will stop at the Anchor as well, or, worst case, people going there schlepp the 3 blocks from the Adria.

So, we have 3 so far (agile_one, gpalmer, and BRBJackson - dude, you're not bringing a surfboard or anything, are you?
biggrin.gif
).

I will keep taking names for that ride, but need to close it out no later than next Thurs, 4/13, as they want "at least a week in advance" for scheduling the van.

So, this will be for transportation from LaGuardia to the Ramada Adria and thereabouts on Fri, 4/21, leaving LaGuardia 6:15 or so. Only complication I can imagine is getting all us riders to the same place at LaGuardia for pickup. I'm sure we can manage it.

<edit> hmmm, just had a scary thought - in my naivity, I am assuming it's $45 for the van trip, not per person, but this being NY, I could be wrong - will find out and post back. </edit>

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 34
<edit> hmmm, just had a scary thought - in my naivity, I am assuming it's $45 for the van trip, not per person, but this being NY, I could be wrong - will find out and post back. </edit>[/QUOTE]

That has to be for the van. It is a ten minute trip, you could take a stretch Hummer for alot less than 45 dollars a person.
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 34
I'll be arriving in LGA around 5:30pm so perhaps you fellas could accomodate me? I'm glad the delta between the hotel and LGA isn't too great because my return flight departarts @ 6am (are cabs readily available/affordable in the wee morning hours in NY)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back