New York City area hi-fi stores?
Apr 2, 2003 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sentral Dogma

500+ Head-Fier
new to hi-fi and would like to know the good shops to shop and audition stuff at in NYC (all five burrows
biggrin.gif
)

the only ones i know of are stereo exchange on broadway and one right off broadway across from a Tower records in the NYU-ish area.

also, what electronics shows come around this area? and are they open to the public like the car shows?

Apr 2, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 6
It isn't actually in NYC, but I've been very happy with Audio Nexus in Summit NJ. You can check out their website at www.audionexus.com. The website also has lectures by some high end manufacturers talking about their products and design philosophies (Ray Kimber, Audio Physic, Meadowlark Audio, Conrad Johnson, McCormack, Richard Vandersteen).

They have a no-pressure approach that is great and both Ken and Gerry are extremely helpful. I've been to several shops in NYC and NJ, but now that I've found Audio Nexus I can't imagine going anywhere else.

Apr 2, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Galileo's Dad
It isn't actually in NYC, but I've been very happy with Audio Nexus in Summit NJ. You can check out their website at www.audionexus.com. The website also has lectures by some high end manufacturers talking about their products and design philosophies (Ray Kimber, Audio Physic, Meadowlark Audio, Conrad Johnson, McCormack, Richard Vandersteen).

They have a no-pressure approach that is great and both Ken and Gerry are extremely helpful. I've been to several shops in NYC and NJ, but now that I've found Audio Nexus I can't imagine going anywhere else.

Thanks for this...I checked out their website and it looks like a great field trip on public transportation from NYC.
John

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 6
Doesn't Mark Levinson has his store in Manhattan? If you are talking uber hi-fi, you could go there, as I think their stuff is among the more expensive and possibly overrated stuff. Personally, I have not heard it, but I have my doubts. A check on their site reveals that you can buy their stuff in Westfield NJ at "Stuart's Audio" of all places. Given the name, I think you should go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back