New Year's Resolution
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

OddE

500+ Head-Fier
Happy new year, all!

This year, I've got a head-fi (Well, head-fi is a means to an end, at any rate!) resolution - during the course of 2015, I'll try to listen more attentively to all the albums I've neglected for years; surely there must have been a reason for me to purchase it in the first place, right?

There's no way I'll make my way through all my albums in one year - other commitments ensure there's not that much time available for listening - but I'll give it a brave go and keep a list, then see at the end of the year how well I did.

Today I've been starting the new year by listening to a couple of old favourites:

Dire Straits - Making Movies (vinyl)

16 Horsepower - Secret South (CD)

Bob Dylan - Shot of Love (vinyl)

These albums are all pretty good; I honestly don't know why I haven't listened to them in a while - while Making Movies brings back all sorts of memories from younger years (Dire Straits basically were the soundtrack to my teenage years), Shot of Love strikes me as under-rated, for the most part - the opening track Every Grain of Sand serves up some pretty decent lyrics, The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar is an excellent romp - granted, some of the arrangements are not quite to my liking, but His Bobness wouldn't be His Bobness if he didn't do the occasional odd thing.

Secret South I really can't recall why I bought - probably because of a glowing review by a critic whose taste to me is impeccable. Still didn't quite do it for me, though - while I appreciate a good ol' fire-and-brimstone Apocalypse as much as the next guy and really liked the soundscapes on the album, I never quite connected with it. Oh well, I was surprised upon listening to it again at how good it really was - so chances are I will give it a few more listens in the near future. Perhaps I have matured enough to appreciate it better since buying it during my student days. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back