New XOHA-REP-ACB
Mar 11, 2007 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ALBPM

100+ Head-Fier
I got this in the mail yesterday. After the initial 10 hr charge I was impressed by the sound quality right out of the box.

So, here's my Short initial impression of the amp:

This amp has the latest custom op amp combination recommended by Alberto-
OPA2228UA dual precision high performance op amp SOIC8
and LMH6654MA high power rail to rail op amp SOIC8

The standard offering is the OPA2134/LMH6654MA combination.

So, with just a couple hours playing time the OHA-REP has an incredibly wide soundstage a deep crisp bass and sweet highs - nothing grainy at the high end. A true 'Bass Lovers' portable....
580smile.gif

I've tried it out with my DT-880, HD-580 and PMX100 headphones so far and it has ample power for all. For sources I've used it with my Sansa e270 and iRiver H120.

Got to have pictures..........
oha.jpg
oha2.jpg

Top and front views. All the controls are on the front panel making it convenient for the user. Nice easy grip power/volume control.

oha3.jpg

Powered by a rechargable 9V, 280mAH NiMH for 13 hrs continous play.

oha4.jpg

Size comparison with the C&C amp. The OHA is shorter but wider and thicker than the C&C.

oha5.jpg

Here it is strapped to the Sansa e270. Kinda obvious it's now replaced my C&C
for my new portable rig.
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

For more info and pricing for the various op amp configurations check out the xenos website:
http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Ahh OPamp rolling. I requested Alberto few months ago to install Opamp socket to this amp. He promised he would provide a daughter board as an upgrade for opamp swapping.
It seems they are just going to do the OPAMP rolling at their workshop only!!! May be a marketing decision as those who want swapping, will have to take it as an upgrade.
OPAMP swapping option by end-user may be the better marketing option as that will prompt more people to buy just to experiment.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Banned member Andrea did whole lot of experiments with this amp rolling several opamp configurations.

Mar 12, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes, I read through most of Andrea's posts. I'm quite pleased with the
OPA2228UA/LMH6654MA combination. Originally I wanted the AD823 buffer but Alberto recommended the OPA2228UA. It's quiet-(no Hiss) and has an excellent Soundstage. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it sounded right out of the box.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Good thing for you not to have the AD823. Too bad not to socket the opamps (not even in the new expensive models, OPA2134 in a +200 dollar amp is madness). With a better opamp and a bit lower gain this could have been a very popular little amp. I really love the belt clip, the small size, the rubbery volume knob (useful when doing the dishes) and built in charger.

It seems that Alberto has listened to Andrea, and uses the better LMH6654 instead of 6642. It's a loss not to have Andrea around who had the energy to try all those different chips. Most of us listens to opamp based amps, and the opamp is by far the most important component.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 12
BTW why did he get banned? His posts were joy to read though sometimes he was very bold and hard wired!!

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Its so happy to see that Xenos is finally gets the recognition here. Their products have been very good value for money for so long.

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 12
Hey kaushama, I see that you are selling an OHA. What op amps/buffers are in the one you are selling???

The Xenos amps are a great deal. Also, Alberto is offeing a variety of op amps and buffers for the OHA-REP. Right out of the box my OHA-REP blew away the C&C amp that I've been carrying for the last couple months. Plus these amps have a 5 year warranty. I also got a 1HA-EPC to use at work which is another one of ATP's excellent values.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 12
It has default configuraton.

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Mar 14, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 12
I would safely say the the new version (OPA2228/LMH6654MA) has a much improved Bass response from the original OPA2134/LMH6642) that you reviewed.
It would be interesting if Skylab could add the new version to his big review of the portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back