New X3 2nd gen player have CAL cans want an upgrade any advice?
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

michaelgordon

100+ Head-Fier
I have a new X3 2nd gen player and am using CAL cans which i really like only had them two weeks (moved from the JVC HA-S680) but i have ordered the AT ATH-M50X as i feel the player deserves a better set.  I got them and the right side not working so returning to amazon.  From only listening to one side and they could have been faulty as well but the bass seemed really boomy and drowning out vocals, again this could be a fault but as they are being returned are there any better options?

I like the sound of the CAL, they need to be closed as used for office and commuting and dont want IEMs (ordered the Trinity Delta).  Mainly listen to Metal / Rock  I like seperation on the instruments and vocals to be clean especially on female vocals.  I like bass but not too overpower.  Budget is £150 / $230 but for something special i could push this a bit.

Looked at DT770 8o ohm and nearly cancelled the order for the M50X but the reviews were so good. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 10
Focal Spirit One S. Doesn't have the top end sparkle on the cymbals like what the HD600 and K701 can do but everything else is audible enough. Closed back design also means the bass is more easily perceived to be louder than on the open headphones (often people think they lack bass but really they have an indistinct but otherwise loud noise floor that gets in the way).

If you can spend a bit more there' the Spirit Pro - more neutral and the dull finish is less prone to show scratches (or even get them to begin with).

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 10
  I have ordered the AT ATH-M50X as i feel the player deserves a better set.  I got them and the right side not working so returning to amazon.  From only listening to one side and they could have been faulty as well but the bass seemed really boomy and drowning out vocals, again this could be a fault but as they are being returned are there any better options?

The ATH-M50Xs are know for a loud bass and recessed mids (vocals), so chances are the working cup is what the ATH-M50Xs sound like.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 10
WOW, thanks

I like bass but that was just awful, cant believe how bad they sounded.  Sound is so subjective.  Think im going to get a pair of P5s and hope.  Something about the DT770 putting me off

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 10
I guess having one cup defective might have effected the over all sound quality, never heard of anyone say the ATH-M50X sounded bad.
The DT770 are good headphones, but the mids are recessed and the DT770 need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 10
  Thanks for your help, i have an EllK amp connected to the X3 currently driving the cals, that's what put me off the 770 recessed mids, i like nice good vocals

Surprised you need to use the E11K with the FiiO X3, to drive the 32-Ohm CALS?
Would thought the CALs would sound fine, plugged straight into the X3?

May 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Im really not sure on the P5.  I have burn in for 48 hours and i dont know for originally £220 cans i was expecting more, i only paid £115.  I cant really hear the difference between these and the CALs in fact i think the CAL is slightly more details when a/b ing them on the same track.  

Dont whether to return or keep as a product they are lovely all metal and leather but for no difference in sound quality is it really worth keeping.  Is ther anything better im open to suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back