New worm spread through KaZaA networks
May 24, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
but i still disagree that a song is not property. if i write a song and record it it is my property. if you listen to my song and play it and record it yourself, would you honestly say to somebody that it is "your song"? this of course won't happen though, because i don't write songs heh.

Uh, no...the record company will own the song you wrote!

Metallica had to fight to win back their songs as their copyrights a few years back from Elektra...and they won. This is where the problem lies with the music industry, they want their cake with icing and seconds as well. They want to have total control over every aspect of a artist, right down to the song they penned. Granted, i still buy cd's, but the music industry really does need to adapt to the consumer...cuz the consumer has gotten smarter and if the price is just too damn high, they'll download it, burn it, and their off (or for the non-internet types: buy the pirated copy on the streets for $5). If cd prices for A product fell down to $10, i'd start buying lots more cds, as everyone else would.

Another big issue: B product, albums released many years ago, and those bastards are still charging full price for them!

May 25, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 21
silly silly kazaa. I use Direct connect these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 21
I agree with the statement that the record companies are losing money of their own accord. It is hard to make a causual link between music sharing and loss of profits. They make claims like they are losing money in college towns where highspeed internet and sharing networks are prevolent. OK. But they also want close to 20 bucks a CD now for new stuff. Who are they going to drive out of their own market first? People like students that do not have any money.

I buy CD's for all my favorite artists, and I will pay inflated prices to get the CD's. If I find a good deal, I will buy CD's from some of my not-so favorite artists. I will pay $5 just for the physical CD and notes. I think that if CD prices got to be cheaper (and they obviously can) they would dip into the threshold of what people are willing to pay for the physical CD (despite having availability to mp3's). The record companies are trying to make money by charging more to offset a drop in sales? That does not make sense.

If any of the big companies had the foresight to take advantage of this wave of music sharing they would have a near monopoly right now. Think about music companies in the past, they provided both a service and a product (in making the musc accessible, and making records to sell). Nowadays, record companies are no longer needed to get music to people. People can search out and aquire the music they want online. The record companies still need to get an artist recorded, advertise etc. They need to realize that they can no longer be the only game in town, i.e. the only way for people to get music, and focus their busines strategies accordingly.

I think they could take an example from the movie industry. You can download hollywood movies nowadays. You can rent and/or copy them. Have you seen the movie companies bitch about losing money?
Of course not. They provide a service that extends beyond the information that they project on the screen. You get a big screen, surround sound, popcorn, and a night out. Obviously a CD can't do that, but what can a physical product provide that a mp3 cannot? That is wha the record companies need to decide. Right now what they are delivering is not worth the price tha they are asking.....

May 25, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 21
Why are they losing money just because I downloaded their songs? I download the mp3 and listen to it- ok, fine, so I didnt buy it. But then again, even if there weren't mp3s, I really wouldn't have bought the CD anyway- I hate CDs. Most of the time, there are only usually one or two good songs, making them a complete waste of money. It's just my way of thinking, but I dont consider it a loss when I wouldn't have paid them in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back