New Work Headphones / IEMs
Sep 19, 2016 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pjcforpres2020

New Head-Fier
Trying to replace a pair of on-ear momentum's. I liked their sound a fair amount, but also played around with EQ a bit to get them where I wanted them.

There were things I did not like, and would like to improve on - namely comfort during long listening sessions, clarity, sound stage, and ability to layer instruments without getting a bit muddy.

I like some hit to my bass, but not big on rumble off the seat. I like some warmth and texture. Mid-range performance is most important to me.

These will be driven the majority of time by a phone. I might eventually add a mobile dac/amp to the mix, but usually divert most of my audio budget towards my home stereo.

I was hoping for suggestions of IEMs and full-sized closed backs. I can spend up to $400ish on these without getting relegated to the couch by the wife.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Updated my OP to be more concise and actually make sense.

I am trying to decide between IEM or full-sized - that is a personal choice I have to make.

But I would like suggestions while I compare. Currently I am between the Oppo PM-3 vs the FLC 8S. Both sound to have the sound signature I want, comfort, price range, etc.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 4
You should consider Hifiman Edition S as well, I've found them very comfortable for long listening sessions. I think they have wider sound stage and a bit more impact down low than the PM-3's while still being well-balanced and having great clarity and excitement in the highs. The PM-3's isolate better and leak less though, but the Edition S still does well enough for a lot of environments. I should also note that Hifiman advertises them as on-ears, but they're really over-ears, the opening is at least as large and deep as the PM-3's. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Good to know they are over-ear and not on-ear. That actually caused me to overlook them a bit, but their isolation might eliminate them for me I work for an aerospace engineering company, so sound leaking is very frowned upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back