New Woo Audio6
Nov 7, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Avin
I just received a new Woo Audio WA6 I bought last week. I have set it up to burn in a bit. I will keep any body interested posted. BTW; the amp is a beautiful sight.

So how does it sound? I believe in burn-in also but frankly I also enjoy hearing, if there is any, changes. Looks to be a great buy and a fun amp that besides the GZ34/5ar4, inexpensive to tube.

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 100
The Woo 6 is burning in and I have been working a lot. So far sound is full warm and pretty rich. Having some issues driving the Akg701 unless volume at three o'clock or so but it drives the Grados almost as well as the Mapletree. Will keep the burn in going for 100 hours or so. Next to try the Senn 600 phones.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 100
Interesting. I don't like an amp to be too far from neutral. Having made tube equipment because I like tubes better than solid-state, I still do not like the overly warm and too rich sound that tubes not implemented correctly can impart.

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 100
Michael - you have the Mapletree with you, right? I'm interested especially how you compare the WA6 with the Mapletree, because I'm caught between those two
smily_headphones1.gif

If you could do a comparison, that would be excellent.

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 100
Quote:

The Woo 6 is burning in and I have been working a lot. So far sound is full warm and pretty rich. Having some issues driving the Akg701 unless volume at three o'clock or so but it drives the Grados almost as well as the Mapletree. Will keep the burn in going for 100 hours or so. Next to try the Senn 600 phones.

Thats weird the amp doesnt want to drive the 701's. You would think a transformer coupled amp would have plenty of current drive for the 62 ohm impedence 701's. My OTL Singlepower Slam's drive this headphone great despite the low impedence and low sensitivity.
confused.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 100
That surprises me too. Makes me wonder what kind of results you'll get out of the Senns, if a low impedence can like the 701 is being run at 3:00.

The LDII, comparitively, was impossible to use with Grados and the 701, as it was too loud too quickly.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 100
I wondered this also. Something isn't right here. I would contact the manufacture.

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 100
It drives the akg 701's fine. Volume control just has to be at 2 or 3 o'clock. I hear no distortion or any hum at that level. It drives the Grados great with no harshness what so ever. Next to try the Senn 600's. Oh the fun of it all. I am still working long hours in retail and have not had time to do side by side comparisons yet.
Will eventually compare to Mapletree amp,Eddie Current ECSC, and some various other solid state stuff I have kicking around. [P.S. This amp is a thing of pure simple beauty. Pictures do not do it justice]

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

It drives the akg 701's fine. Volume control just has to be at 2 or 3 o'clock. I hear no distortion or any hum at that level. It drives the Grados great with no harshness what so ever. Next to try the Senn 600's. Oh the fun of it all. I am still working long hours in retail and have not had time to do side by side comparisons yet.
Will eventually compare to Mapletree amp,Eddie Current ECSC, and some various other solid state stuff I have kicking around. [P.S. This amp is a thing of pure simple beauty. Pictures do not do it justice]

If thats the case, then my guess for the low volume is twofold. One, the 6de7 is a lower gain tube that only has an amplification factor of 17. Two, you can also get a substantial gain loss when a signal is passing through a transformer. Depending on the transformers efficiency .... you can loose several db of gain from the transformer. Add the two together and you end up using a large portion of the volume controls operating range.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 100
Weird...I'm running my DT990 (250ohm) at somewhere between 10~11 o'clock range, depending on the music...

Doesn't K701 have impedance of 62 ohm?

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 100
Wierd.....But there's no distortion or hum driving the 701s @ 3 o'clock you say "at that level" any hum or distortion turning it up further than that with the 701s?
I bet they look great together, you did get the Wooo6 in silver, didn't you M ?

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
Weird...I'm running my DT990 (250ohm) at somewhere between 10~11 o'clock range, depending on the music...

Doesn't K701 have impedance of 62 ohm?

The 701 also has a low sensitivity which will require more volume .... and he may be driving the amp with a low gain source too.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 100
I am using a Music Hall 25.2 as a CD source. It has a regular output voltage, so that is not the issue. All the other amps I have drive the akg 701's at a normal 10-12 o'clock volume setting. However solid state drives the 701's much better as this phone needs more current than voltage to drive it.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

I am using a Music Hall 25.2 as a CD source. It has a regular output voltage, so that is not the issue. All the other amps I have drive the akg 701's at a normal 10-12 o'clock volume setting. However solid state drives the 701's much better as this phone needs more current than voltage to drive it.

Thats whats weird .... with transformer coupling the amp should have plenty of current drive for low impedence headphones. Do you have the high/ low impedence switch on the back of the amp on the right setting for the K701's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back