New White Stripes-- 5 stars in Rolling Stone
Apr 20, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #46 of 59
Heh. The Elephant LP is on colored vinyl.
biggrin.gif

Disc one is white and disc two is translucent red.

Apr 20, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #47 of 59
Just saw "7 nation army" video from new album, very cool creative kaliedescope effect done much better vs recent RHCP "zephyr" video.

Even though music is lame new Christina Agularia video is very cool artisically.

Apr 20, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
There's a similar band that I'm digging right now. Surprisingly, nobody's mentioned the Libertines. Up the Bracket is a solid cd. Some folks have called The Libertines Britain's answer to The Strokes - I wouldn't know, as I've not heard much from The Strokes. I too resist hype.

The Libertines debut is a pretty good album well worth getting and is generally grouped with STROKES, VINES style wise but really they are more strongly rooted in English punk revival and to me sounds like updated version of THE JAM. The STROKES are more strongly influenced by Velvet Underground, NY Dolls, Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers etc.

I still say people who like new WHITE STRIPES should be checking out RAVEONETTES debut album.

Apr 20, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
[ The Libertines ] are more strongly rooted in English punk revival and to me sounds like updated version of THE JAM.

That's a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really like the rowdy pub singalongs that you only hear in British bands, too. ...Love that Boys in the Band track!

Hey, your mention of the old 70s New York Scene reminds me of a Rhino label compilation that my buddy gave me. The DIY: The Blank Generation would be a great starter cd for the kiddies who'd like to hear a taste of the cbgb circuit bands minus New York Dolls. My favrorite songs there are both Heartbreaker tunes.

Quote:

I still say people who like new WHITE STRIPES should be checking out RAVEONETTES debut album.

Interesting production values with that band. Weren't they the ones who got that fifties girl-group producer to do their own album?

Apr 20, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
Interesting production values with that band. Weren't they the ones who got that fifties girl-group producer to do their own album?

All I know is RAVEONETTES are from Denmark and producer has worked with BLONDIE........they are two piece guy/girl band that plays electro garage rock like WHITE STRIPES with some songs having JESUS MARY CHAIN influence.

Apr 20, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

All I know is RAVEONETTES are from Denmark and producer has worked with BLONDIE........they are two piece guy/girl band that plays electro garage rock like WHITE STRIPES with some songs having JESUS MARY CHAIN influence.

Yup, that'd be Richard Gottehrer, who worked on Blondie's first two albums ("Blondie" and "Plastic Letters"), which I've found to be probably the two most upbeat and fun albums Blondie did. I read about the Raveonettes a little bit ago, they sound somewhat interesting. Perhaps I must check them out...

Arigato,
Brook

Apr 21, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #52 of 59
Well, my respect for The White Stripes just dropped a notch today (no real fault of their own). I just learned that my favorite song on "Elephant" was written, not by the White Stripes, but by Burt Bacharach and Hal David!
eek.gif
I thought the song, "I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself" was an original by the Stripes! I love Burt Bacharach because he was writing the hits when I was a little kid and I thought I knew all his songs, but I didn't know this one.

Funny that I should have been so attracted to that song (but perhaps not mysteriously) , since I think Burt Bacharach is one of the great tunesmiths of all time. Maybe something in his style of writing just clicks with me so I immediately responded to "I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself". Just goes to show that great songwriting transcends the years and artists. I had given the Stripes credit for writing such a catchy little tune, when all along it was penned by the master!
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #53 of 59
chad,
If you don't have it, you should get Bacharach and Elvis Costello's recent collaboration Painted From Memory. Seems like a wacky pairing on paper but he's covered many Bacharach songs in the past, and this really worked for me. I think it's one of the best things Costello's done in the last decade, though some critics just couldn't seem to handle this disc. Anyway, I think you'd appreciate it. Sound quality is good, too and I believe it's an HDCD if that matters to you.

Mark

Apr 21, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
I too thought they were talentless pretty boys, but the Strokes album is tight. By tight I mean they executed that late 70's/early80's sound perfectly and made it sound fresh. They really do rock! I cant wait for their next album.

The Strokes ARE really good. Sad thing is that since they were somewhat hyped, they started getting a lot of backlash.

Doesn't even make sense to me because their album didn't sell much more than 400,000 copies, but people are still claiming that they're a product of the music media.

At least "Is This It" is routinely listed among the Top 100 albums ever in several critics' lists. I don't know if they deserve that, but their whole album overall is very listenable and enjoyable, and they're bringing back the classic style of rock to the masses.

Apr 21, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Just saw "7 nation army" video from new album, very cool creative kaliedescope effect done much better vs recent RHCP "zephyr" video.

Even though music is lame new Christina Agularia video is very cool artisically.

"artistically" eh?
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #56 of 59
Listened to Elephant in the background at a friend's house, sounds like a strong album. He mentioned that everything in the studio was no older than 1967 or 69, can't remember, still sounded good to me. I'm picking it up as soon as I start buying CDs again (not broke).

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I almost purchased Elephant the other day. I had missed this thread, but the album was mentioned in Stereophile as an album to die for.

i'd certainly recommend it. this album is easily the best album released last year (i don't care what pitchfork says) and the sound-quality of the recording is unbelievably gorgeous.

a truly wonderful experience on my setup.
biggrin.gif

if you like it at all, i'd really make sure to grab White Blood Cells while you're at it. more of a bluesy edge and just as much fun to listen to as Elephant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back